1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Tipping Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 19, 2017.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I tip, but usually just a few bucks, it may not even be 20% total. Usually there is at the least someone bussing your table, and in some cases, refilling your drink. That's worth a tip.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I avoid buffets because I don't like food that's been sitting around, but if there's someone coming around bringing drinks I'll usually leave them something.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's a buffet I go to where the servers bring you drinks, so I tip them.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

If I have the cash, I'll tip at Chipotle. As for what ChrisLong did, when those style of places have that option, depending on what I ordered, I'll do a custom tip or no tip and just throw them some cash.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't usually go to buffets, but yes, if someone is actually coming to the table, serving you drinks, cleaning up, you tip.

I'm not tipping at Panera when I'm ordering carryout.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not tipping at a Chipotle type restaurant, and I get annoyed when the mobile kiosks try to tip shame you into giving one.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Recent trend I've seen are tip jars at gas stations, and no, I don't buy gas in New Jersey anymore.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Even with the tax, gas in NJ is still quite a bit cheaper than NY. Haven't been to PA in a few months, but pretty sure NJ is still cheaper than PA. Where you seeing tip jars, South Jersey?

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It was more of a comment on the only states where I wouldn't shake my head about gas station tip jars would be NJ and Oregon.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A recent Uber driver I had placed a tip jar on his console with a prominent note that tips are allowed, accepted and encouraged. My son and I go back and forth all the time on tipping Uber drivers.

Never seen one in a gas station but I pay the guy at the window and don't go inside. I like the cheaper prices and not pumping the gas

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll tip $3-$5 at a buffet, or a Sizzler-type place where you order at the counter and someone brings your order and drinks.

No tips at fast casual. That's an advantage at those places, generally good food without the 20 percent surcharge for service.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Oregon also doesn't allow you to pump your own gas?

Draft saved Draft deleted