1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated bands/performers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, May 22, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Smashing Pumpkins.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nope, Pumpkins had a nice little heyday.

Tweener and Dick Whitman like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I've always felt Clint Black was the superior talent between him and Garth Brooks. They came out about the same time, but Brooks had the better marketing team pushing him as the "new face of country music" it also helped that this push came when they changed to SoundScan and country music (and Brooks) were outselling the pop and rock acts of the day. Black actually writes and plays - Brooks stole his stage act from Kiss and Chris LeDoux.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess I'm too old to "get it" but a millennial attendee at our church told me I just had to listen to...

Bon Iver.

As I listened to an album - the self-titled one I think - I thought "so, what's he's saying?"

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe because Mellencamp and Seger (both of whom I like) each spent many years (in the early-to-late 80s) slavishly following after Springsteen?

It's OK. The Stones basically aped everything the Beatles did, until the band (the B's) broke up. That doesn't mean the Stones weren't great too.

(In a very weird/indirect way, the Original V.1 Rolling Stones broke up in early 1969 just like the Beatles, with the departure/death of Brian Jones. The "group" went on, of course, but the "band" was never the same.)

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nonsense.

7. Starman

Sorry, no; no part of it is nonsense. Mellencamp and Seger spent much of the 80s trying to be junior varsity Springsteens, just like the Stones spent much of the 60s as the JV Beatles.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some of Seger's best shit predates some of Springsteen's best shit.

9. Starman

Absolutely. I was stomping my feet to "Heavy Music" in 1967, when Springsteen was still fucking around in high school.
    However, that doesn't change the fact that for much of the 80s, Seger essentially tried to become the Midwestern Springsteen (and when he wasn't doing that, he was mimicking the Eagles).

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I kinda like The Eagles, but I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned. They seem to elicit a lot of negativity.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Duran Duran.
    And Mariah Carey.

Draft saved Draft deleted