1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsletters

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by danielpaulling, May 15, 2017.

1. What time have you found works best (in terms of open and click-through rates) for sending newsletters?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Huh? What kind of newsletters? Like Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer?

3. Email

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Can't specifically answer this, but do know we're making a big newsletter push. We seem to send them during morning and afternoon drive. Not sure if the idea is to try and catch the commuting crowd.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you do a poll? asking what times do you most often check email and browse the internet?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Those times generally are right as workers get in and right as people leave work.

We're also doing a number of e-mail pushes that aren't newsletters per se. We'll blast out a recap of the weekend's top reads on Monday, for instance. (I don't think it's that novel, but for us it is.)

7. I try to send my weekly sports email around 5:30 p.m. to catch that commuting crowd. our most successful emails go in the morning, but they're news based. you should try some a-b testing to see what works best for your market or subject area.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For those doing newsletters: how much of the process is automated? Are you trying to make it more conversational?

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The newsletter we run [I run a craft beer business magazine] goes out on Weds. and Saturday at 10 a.m. So it's still in the morning for the east coasters who may be starting their day or might check at lunch yet it gets to the west coasters early so they can check it before heading into work.
    We usually track around 26% open rate with 17% click through (both above average for what some analytics have shown)

Draft saved Draft deleted