1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | The Paducah (Ky.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Stunson, May 15, 2017.

1. Mike Stunson

Mike Stunson New Member

The Paducah (Ky.) Sun is looking for a talented and versatile sports reporter. Candidates with a college degree and at least a year of reporting experience are preferred, but recent graduates may apply. The reporter will cover a broad range of sports with emphasis on high school athletics in our region. Applicants should send cover letter, resume and two or three writing samples to Executive Editor Steve Wilson at swilson@paducahsun.com

As the primary high school sports reporter, you would be responsible for 21 high schools in the west Kentucky area. It's a rich athletic area, with state championship-caliber teams in football, girls basketball, baseball, softball, tennis and track and field.

The Paducah Sun has a 4-person sports staff — 2 full-time reporters and 2 part-time clerks. Paducah is 2 hours away from Nashville and 2.5 hours to St. Louis.

Good luck to all applicants and feel free to message me if you have any questions.

2. I worked here a few years back. Steve Wilson is a good person to work for, and Ed Marlowe and Jon Futrell are good people to work with. There are a ton of great stories to tell, so you'll be busy. Good baseball/softball, tennis, and basketball.

Paducah is also a nice place. Whoever gets this will have to eat at Kirchhoff's Deli a few times a week for me.

Edward Marlowe and Mike Stunson like this.
  3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Is it still the company that bought the Durham paper and absolutely gutted it the first day?

4. Mike Stunson

Mike Stunson New Member

The Paducah Sun is owned by Paducah-based Paxton Media Group, who own many newspapers throughout the region. I'm not sure if they're the ones who gutted the Durham paper. If so, it happened well before I arrived here three years ago.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Attended college about an hour away from Paducah way back when and can vouch for the area, especially if you love outdoors activities. The city is on the Ohio River, and Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are close by for camping, boating and fishing. If you venture into southern Illinois (it's the prettiest and most rugged part of the state, which admittedly isn't saying much), there are more lakes and several great areas for hiking and rock-climbing, such as Giant City State Park and Garden of the Gods.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Yes

7. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

I appreciate the kind words, Paulling. I just hope anyone interested truly loves what they do. The WKY is a great place for local, regional and even some national headlines.

twinsfan1424 and danielpaulling like this.
  8. Mike Stunson

Mike Stunson New Member

We are still accepting applications for this job. Feel free to send your resume and samples to Steve Wilson at swilson@paducahsun.com.

9. Mike Stunson

Mike Stunson New Member

We have narrowed down our search and are no longer accepting applications. Thank you to all who applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted