1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Even if you take the trans issue out of it, it takes a lot of balls to tell somebody what name they have to use.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Yeah, this ship is destined to sink. We tried. We failed.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Do they care as much as they used to? It just seems like often a lot of effort goes into beating other writers on a beat by two minutes. And then the press release comes out 15 minutes later.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yes. There was a recent one that was pretty big. We got it. Can't really go into detail, but it was important to our guys.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does "important to our guys" translate in any way to business though?

As a general rule, bosses have been wrong about everything in assessing their audience for the last 15-20 years. (I don't know yours though and the Canadian market might be different.)

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Since you can't say it, allow me: Your bosses seem like idiots for caring that much. Is it bringing genuine value to the company? If not, its importance seems to be overvalued.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Baseball really is dying, isn't it?

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The only correlation I can make is that our station (Sportsnet) and our competitor (TSN) do competing Trade Deadline and Free Agency shows every year. TSN was a long-time rightsholder before us, and has three very credible "newsbreakers" in Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun. So far, they have outdrawn us on those days, even though we are the major rightsholder. We both sell those shows, so there is a business benefit to improving our numbers and identity.

That's all I can give you, though.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

or on TV

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

or in print

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Thanks. Most days I don't even try and I still am.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Maybe yours do, but mine sure as hell don't. Even my publisher is smart enough to understand we can't beat people on a story 95% of the time now. Newspapers are dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted