1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Service Electric in NJ and PA also does the same.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We're in the premium range. When we cut the cord we also got a new ISP (since we had a bundle before) and I pay extra for higher speeds to help the streaming. Maybe I could drop it down a notch, but everything works so I'm slow to make another adjustment.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

I get the Blue Legacy service for $20. It basically replaces the ESPNs and Disneys with the Fox Sports national and regional channels. Some of the channels it has that the Orange (ESPN) package does not are NFL Network, FX/FXX (FXX is only on-demand), USA (I like Suits), Syfy (Expanse), BET (some good comedy) and Nat Geo. Those come with the package. I get $5 off because I was a very, very early adopter, like you. I chose Fox Sports regional package instead of ESPN because of local teams' games and high school state tournaments. If there is something I need to catch on ESPN or BTN, I go to the office, catch it in the TV lounge of my apartment building or hit a bar.

Here's a channel comparison. https://www.sling.com/service/compare

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One smart thing ESPN did a few years back was to jettison NASCAR, in which ratings have been sinking even worse than Trump's.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is the reason a lack of stars?

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Anybody who read the actual story, Cohn didn't really mention it at all. She talked mostly about overpaying for rights fees (which anyone with a functioning brain and without a silly agenda would agree is the main issue) and she opined that branching into non-sports areas was going to affect the relationship with the old-school viewers that want the network to be sports-only.

But as always the headlines are pretty misleading. Sad because she actually has some very insightful answers.

Lugnuts and Liut like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It will be next year, with Dale Jr. gone on top of Stewart and Gordon. There are several good young drivers but they need more wins and titles. Would help if Jimmie Johnson would stop winning.

Nascar was spectacularly fortunate to ink its 10-year/$8.2 billion deal with Fox Sports and NBC in 2013. Tracks have seen attendance plummet but that deal takes care of them, too.

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The story wasn't written very directly, but if that is the conclusion you drew from it, you must have gone into it with a pre-formed conclusion.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

No I actually took the two minutes to read what she said in full context rather than the NY Post conveniently pulled quote.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I’m told the network also intends to bring aboard some of the staff of The Vertical, the NBA site Wojnarowski launched for Yahoo 2016.

Wait. Is he in the middle of some gangsta rap-style feud that would prevent Marc Stein and Ethan Sherwood Strauss from working with him?

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Golf after Jack and Arnie. Or Tiger.

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted