1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, Indian Wells and Miami are 12-day tournaments with 96-player draws, most of any non-Grand Slam. So they're not exactly going the smaller-is-better route.

I'm all for fewer tournaments (hate it when simultaneous events have the top players scattered), but I'm not sure what smaller draws would accomplish (most events have 64; only option below that is 48 or 32).

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I invented fanboy.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And you, sir, have an awesome avatar.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A problem with this is the middleman is also the one delivering the internet access that makes all the alternatives possible. Is Comcast going to sell internet only at a price that doesn't reflect that the customer isn't paying for cable?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Definitely a valid point. Since cutting the cord six years ago, my Internet bill has increase 43%, and yes, it's Comcast internet. Cable companies are finding ways to stick it to cord cutters to make up for lost revenue.

7. Doc Holliday

I've got Sling, and you're getting ripped off. Maybe I'm grandfathered in since I got it when it first came out, but I get ESPN and about 20 other channels for $20. You are correct, though, Sling dominates the others hands down as far as product value and reliability.

8. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

No you don't...They have an app for Roku, Amazon Fire TV Stick etc...You just need a playstation account which you can create online.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's why I bought an amazon fire stick and jail broke it. Now all I pay is for the high speed internet and get every channel and even new release movies.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

At some point the ISPs WILL jack up internet-only prices so far it won't make sense to be a cord-cutter.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just wait until Internet service is like gas prices: "regular" "premium" and "super-premium."

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They already are. Comcast has different packages based on speed. The ones you'd use at home start at $40 a month for a 10 mbps and go up to $70 a month for 150 mbps. I think we're on the 25 mbps plan, which is $50 a month.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted