1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk about "talk about"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying. It's not like a question is even being asked. It's more like a directive. Feels rude and inconsiderate, disrespectful at the very least. I know if someone used it with me, I'd give them a smartass reply.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

Yes, the first one is worse.
    First of all, the idea is to ASK a question. Why is always a better question than what. Why did you send the baserunner and what was your thought process?

After World Peace, the health of my family, and the end of poverty, eliminating "talk about" would be my wish.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is better. Again: It is better. But coaches often view that question - why - as a challenge to their authority. And they sometimes give shitty passive/aggressive answers to it. Because, see, you, the reporter, are not entitled to know why. Fuck you, with your why.

But "talk about" is an invitation. Reporters perceive it as a command. In my experience, coaches do not. "Talk about" is the domain of TV reporters, who often want nothing more than a bland line for their nightly report. "Talk about" is a PR prompt. In my mind, it's bad for that reason - but it's not bad because it always elicits shitty answers. On the contrary, it often doesn't. What's more, "why," can if it's in a press conference scrum, where the questions are coming at a coach from all directions.

I love why, personally. And I loved when why used to piss off coaches who gave pissy answers. I always thought that was telling.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Alma, you just made me think of this:

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Really? I thought the idea was to get an answer from the person. How often do you see the question a reporter asked included in a game story?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right?

Here's what I don't get, and perhaps never will: The know-it-all journalists - sometimes precious longformers, usually younger, including every know-it-all at Deadspin - who love to pop off on Twitter and here about how shitty and uneducated all of their work-a-day colleagues are when the syntax on a question isn't just so or a pissy pollyanna coach gets perturbed and decides to big-time a reporter. There are reporters who get a kick out of that, side with the coach or the athlete. I always find it particularly interesting when it's to come to the defense of a millionaire athlete or coach.

georgealfano likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Exactly. Saying "talk about" is an order given by the reporter to the subject. It is horrible. I'm like you. If someone told me to "talk about" something I'd say, "Say please."

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good thing nobody's interviewing you.

Fredrick likes this.
  9. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

You get an answer when you ask a question.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I was taught to always use why, at least as a follow up question, in J-school. My professor was dead on right. I still use it quite bit to this day some 27 years later. Love the why question for the very same reasons as you Alma.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Wow....Mike Silver (NFL Network) "interview" with Myles Garrett:

"You haven't met LeBron yet, but I have a feeling a meeting will be in your future...." (sticks mic in his face looking for a response)

How the heck is he supposed to respond to that?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Horrible question from a good writer

Draft saved Draft deleted