1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hardly.
    Palin was quoted as saying she believed the End Times were within her lifetime. The authenticity of that quote hasn't been verified by multiple sources, but at the time she was running for VP, she had not disavowed that line of thinking. To be concerned about such a belief system in the hands of power is not bigoted; it is practical.
    Is it wrong for citizens of this country and this planet to expect a potential president to believe that he or she can help make the country and the planet better for generations -- plural -- to come? No. At the absolute minimum, we as a nation and a planet must demand that our leaders enter the office believing there will actually be a planet in 40 years. Otherwise, why are they in public service? The assumption that there is a future worth protecting and enhancing is the most basic condition we should set for those who aspire to public office.
    If you want to believe that the end of the world is imminent and divinely ordained and that no man can stand in the way of God's will to end life on Earth, you are entitled to that view. You are free to practice your religion. You can even be president. Until the current ideology gripping the country repeals the language in the original, pre-Bill of Rights Constitution that forbids religious litmus tests for public service, you can run for and earn any office you want.
    But I'm going to be a bit skittish with anyone of that view near the nuclear football.
    Let's consider this for a moment. Let's say Palin or somebody with an End Times theology is in charge of the nuclear codes and the world becomes unstable. A threat of nuclear holocaust becomes real. Might such a leader be as inclined as anybody else to put a forceful stop to the threat? Or are they disproportionately inclined to believe that the instability is a further sign and proof that God is about to end it all and that resistance is futile?
    If I'm off base here, point out the error of my thinking. Inform me on the nuances of End Times theology of which I may not be aware.
    But please refrain from charges of bigotry.

RickStain likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Or a college-level volleyball class.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SO MUCH WINNING!

Trump floods the zone for 100-day anniversary

Trump Touts Achievements, Maintains Media Rage in 100-Day Rally

Donald Trump just wrote a glowing op-ed about his own first 100 days

Donald Trump Jr hails father's first 100 days as president | Daily Mail Online

I wonder what the Pretty Princess thinks? (Other than "I wish Daddy would quit eating asparagus.") Or Jared, America's Kosher Kuckold?

Kellyanne Conway: Donald Trump's 100 days have already reshaped America

Cuntway thinks he's awesome. What a shock.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/29/us/politics/trump-presidency-accomplishments.html?_r=0

Surrender.

Trump invigorates, enchants crowd during rally in Harrisburg, Pa.

So much for the "Democracy Dies In Darkness" whimpering, it's Full Fellatio Mode.

The sudden complete prostration of the NYT and WaPo are quite amazing and astonishing. As if somebody told somebody they need to be Very Very Very Careful.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Conway hasn't been the same since the Bowling Green Massacre.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"You know how those people are."

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She hasn't disavowed that line of thinking.

This "disavow" stuff is funny @tapintoamerica. It's like people are assumed guilty in your mind until they can prove their innocence.

Now, you say this claim wasn't verified by multiple news reports, so what's the basis for the claim?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not people ... those people.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If it's ok to expect Obama to denounce Jeremiah Wright, it's ok to expect Palin to denounce the End of Days kooks in her church.

lakefront likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sarah Palin’s “Planet Earth” and the End Times – The Awl

Give this a look. It has considerable info, including;

"Evidently Palin really does — or until recently did — look to Glazier for spiritual guidance. Earlier in 2008, according to a profile in the Christian magazine Charisma, Palin called Glazier, “asked her to pray with her over the phone,” and invited her to the Governor’s prayer breakfast.

Shortly before the 2008 presidential election, Glazier predicted that a terrorist event would leave “Sarah Palin standing alone … mantled with the American flag. The flag was upside down because things are inverted (upside down) right now. I knew she was stepping into an office that she was mantled for.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.