1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis Commercial Appeal layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the banner ratings for cable news, the writing is on the wall.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Please read this, everybody.
    Well, I'm appalled.
    This part really got to me: "Some of the people who "won" The Hunger Games competition (getting fired then having to reapply for your old job) will be paid thousands of dollars less than they were paid before. That's also not allowed under our union contract."
    I truly hope the union stays on top of this and doesn't back down. I truly hope Gannett loses gazillions of dollars. This is truly horrifying. For Gannett to pull this bullcrap, firing EVERYBODY in advertising and making them apply for their old jobs when it's against the union agreement, is despicable. Sounds like the union has a decent case. For the love of god, please follow through with it, union, and at least make Gannett pay an ungodly sum of money. Please. We're all going to ultimately lose our jobs anyway. Just hit Gannett where it hurts on this one. If you read that link, you have to be upset.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I quite agree. Gannett had a Hunger Games in advertising. The union grieved, saying it violated the contract. Who knows if the union is right or not but there is a process to work through this. But Gannett is holding up the severance payments of other staffers who were let go until the union agreed to drop the grievance. Gannett management are thugs.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Thugs come in all shapes, sizes, colors and clothes, even three-piece suits.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted