1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You remain a moron

2. CD Boogie

No, that is exactly what I did not say, but which you read into. I said, "who decided it was s winning formula?" It was a question. Not a declarative statement.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Has anyone else noticed that this thread has devolved from an old-school, big-event Olbermann SportsCenter into a particularly dumb episode of SAS/Bayless First Take?

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Right. No intent there at all. Just asking questions. :rolleyes:

5. CD Boogie

Guessing you were an alternate on the debate team

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The vigilantes are all master debaters.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cord cutters primarily created these layoffs. Primarily. I can't believe that's still debatable.

I don't have intimate knowledge of ESPN's ratings, but I'd bet the figures for the 6 p.m. SportsCenter today wouldn't change that much whether you had Michael and Jemele or Patrick and Olbermann or (insert your two all-time favorite anchors here). That hour isn't appointment TV -- you're either home or not, with the TV on or not. Maybe the anchors and programming help in you choosing SC over local news or Hogan's Heroes reruns, but the "perfect" anchors aren't going to triple the ratings or anything. It's not prime time. That's why when Michael and Jemele got those seats, I thought it was a low-risk move overall. If they do well, become a brand, etc., they'll get bumped up to a better time. If they're just "meh" and not awful, they're not going to ruin 6 p.m. It is what it is. (Or I could be wrong. I wonder what @exmediahack thinks of that slot.)

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

There is no way quality and content of programming have no effect on decisions like cord-cutting.

The people making the counterargument have moved the goal posts so many times on this subject that it's tough to keep track. It wasn't that long ago that people were saying it was a "golden age of TV," etc. Some of the shows representing that claim are available outside of traditional cable, but I guarantee many people are still using traditional cable to get those shows or to DVR them and watch them later.

Another component outside cord-cutting is whether a network channel even survives. Pivot and Esquire Network bit the dust just in the last few months. Radio had a report on how few viewers tune in to channels like MTV Classic and ESPNU. Again, cord-cutting certainly had an effect, but plenty of people have traditional cable and apparently aren't watching those channels.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Half the country is still working when The 6 is on so ratings aren't gong to be all that great to begin with.

justgladtobehere and HanSenSE like this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For ESPN, I think quality and content of ancillary programming like the SCs and First Takes are a factor in turning the channel off for an hour or a night. Cutting it out of your life completely is more a function of whether or not you can live without the games. Because you can get highlights and hot takes elsewhere, but not Monday Night Football.

Heck, a lot of cutters probably don't even care about ESPN at all, but ESPN is bearing the brunt of their decision because their subscriber rates are the highest. That was easy money for years and years that doesn't exist anymore.

cranberry likes this.
  11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

And by "working," you mean messing around on social media, right ?

QYFW and LongTimeListener like this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's the thing. Every cable subscriber was paying for ESPN, whether they watched it or not.

ESPN could lose no audience, but still lose millions of dollars a month is subscriber fees due to cord cutting.

Live sports (and to some degree cable news) is the one thing you really need cable for.

There are tons of other options for other kinds of programming, and that -- along with high rates -- is what's driving cord cutting.

Draft saved Draft deleted