1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I can count the number of podcasts I've listened to on two fingers. Hardly what cannibalized sports television.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Another noteworthy journalist battle that has spilled out in the wake of ESPN’s layoffs has nothing to do with standards or the direction of the business. It was personal. Boston radio host Kirk Minihane — best known nationally for calling Erin Andrews a “gutless b—h” — called out “SportsCenter” host Jemele Hill for being allowed to stay on at ESPN.

“If I lost my job at ESPN today and knew this dogs–t show with Jemele and Michael Smith still existed I’d lose my mind,” Minihane wrote on Twitter.

Hill was suspended by ESPN in 2008 for harsh comments she made about Boston that played off the city’s racist reputation. It’s unclear if that is the source of Minihane’s anger or he just really hates the new 6 p.m. “SportsCenter.” In any event, Hill quickly fired back and the conversation went straight downhill from there.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/28/espn-f...ebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=facebook

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Understood and I largely don't disagree. The first sentence had qualifiers on there that I forgot to keep on an edit. Clearly, ESPN's problems are not tied to podcasting. But pair it with on-demand services like MLB.tv, YouTube highlights, etc., and what I see becoming a larger and larger problem is that ideas and stories that used to require hours of viewing and interaction with advertising are now encapsulated into a couple minutes, virutally commercial-free. I think that's a good thing for the consumer. I think it's death for cable networks.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Jemele Hill does herself no favors on Twitter.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She did tell Lynch to stunt on someone so she has that going for her.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Minihane is the kind of jackass who has helped Boston earn its reputation as a racist city, especially in sports. Hill is tough to take as well. Responding on Twitter to someone way lower on the professional food chain than yourself is just dumb.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess I gotta watch this SC: 6 show again and see just how much of a trainwreck it is.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

twitter is my news portal. It's not perfect but ya can't beat the speed or the proponderance of angles. If a story is breaking, I would never think to go to the times website or to espn.com. The NFL schedule leaked and it wasn't on traditional websites. It was on blogs. That info has a lot of value. My buddies and I always go to Pittsburgh for a sports weekend in the fall, and it centers around a Steelers game with maybe a pens or Pitt panthers game thrown in. Ya need to act fast when for instance ya learn the Steelers are hosting the packers on Sunday night football on thanksgiving weekend bc the good hotels close to Heinz field will sell out quick.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

FYI; playboy is bringing back nude pics. Hef's son said so a little while back

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I got $10 burning a hole in my pocket.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Don't.
    I beg of you.
    “If I lost my job at ESPN today and knew this dogs–t show with Jemele and Michael Smith still existed I’d lose my mind,” Minihane wrote on Twitter.

I can't disagree with him.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Minihane is there because there was an opening for a thug caused by John Dennis' Amy Winehouse-esque inability to heal his sore elbow.

Draft saved Draft deleted