1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F****** blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Oct 18, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Way to miss the point.

YOU GOT BEAT. And you don't know why.

If he took a chance, hold your head up high and take the "L." No shame in getting beat because someone else played fast and loose.

If he had the sources and you didn't? Not really time for celebration. And not for nothing, he was right, so his sources would seem to be pretty good.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wrote something for a website recently. A player took a redshirt season and the school said nothing except that he was redshirting. The truth was he redshirted, but at least partly because they were trying to sort out an NCAA issue before the start of the next season.

None of the local beat guys were writing about it. The coach and administrators "respectfully declined" interview requests. But I had multiple sources. They were good sources who knew, even if they weren't official. Several athletic department employees confirmed it for me without realizing because I just had conversations where I acted like it wasn't supposed to be a secret.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

1. I don't remember taking a lap with arms raised. This was merely an update.

2. You and LTL are certainly welcome to your opinions.

3. Given how things played out, I wouldn't change a thing.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You have no idea if he did this. You are simply a mouthpiece they can use now.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Several years ago my TV station reported that Marlon Brando was dead about 48 hours before anyone else in the world had it. At first we were hammered by other media demanding to know our sources. Then, for the better part of the 48 hours we were a national punchline. There was a thread here about it, I believe.

Once everyone else confirmed it, our report was written off as "lucky" and irresponsible and clearly premature.

In reality we had two sources. They were both inside the hospital room when he died. At least one, possibly both, were named Brando.

If you've got the story, you've got it.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Reading the thread title, I thought this was a link to an online Penthouse Forum.

Damn.

Liut and Rhody31 like this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does the blogger in question throw a lot of shit against the wall, getting much of it wrong, on a regular basis.

If so, then maybe he got lucky going with an iffy source.

If not, why the assumption that he took some big chance and got lucky?

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm with Yankee here. The blogger was right. Second place is first-place loser.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've been doing this 25 years, and son, sometimes you gotta take a chance. No person ever worth a shit in this business sat on the sideline their whole damn career waiting for the coach to put them in. You can either be a mouthpiece, or you can be a reporter.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You know the answer to this, I suspect, but I'll say it anyway. Many in old media still look down on new media and assume those in new media are shitty at what they do.

In my small corner of the sports world, an old media guy will always ask me if "the blogger is coming today" like the pretentious asshole he is. He has no clue that "the blogger" has 100 times more reach and influence than him in our sport, but because he's old media, he just goes off his assumptions.

Draft saved Draft deleted