1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | Beaumont, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

The Beaumont Enterprise seeks a complete journalist who can cover news as well as sports, with a focus on in-depth reporting and critical thinking. We seek a reporter who can see and seize storytelling opportunities in audience-accessible topics ranging from high school and college sports to outdoors and investigative/enterprise. Clichés, flimsy angles, unremarkable language, reporting for sources and writing around holes will move your clips to the bottom of the pile. The ideal candidate should embrace an “all hands on deck” mentality when news breaks, won’t hesitate to volunteer when others are stretched and works for the good of the newsroom, not one department. Daily and Sunday contributions to 1A are the expectation. A daily digital identity, through social media, blogging and web reporting, is critical to success in this competitive market. The Enterprise, with a Sunday circulation of 30,000 and more than a million page views a week, is a Hearst newspaper with pipelines to sister papers in Houston (90 miles west) and San Antonio.

Send a cover letter, resume, references and six to eight work samples (selected for quality, not play or importance), including sports (or main) news, enterprise packages and features, to Mike Tobias, Sports Editor, The Beaumont Enterprise, at mtobias@beaumontenterprise.com, with the subject line REPORTER: (your name).

2. DShapiro

DShapiro New Member

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Exactly how much news coverage is involved in addition to sports?

4. DShapiro

DShapiro New Member

Not much, I'd assume. Our staff has shrunk since I got here two years ago so most of the news coverage would be stuff like helping with local election results and picking up news stories that have sports angles.

Ultimately, the sports staff will be the sports editor, me and whoever is hired for this position so it'll be a demanding job that will see you do much more sports than news.

MiamiBoy likes this.
  5. ed5656

ed5656 New Member

Is there any page layout involved with the job? And what days would you typically work?

6. DShapiro

DShapiro New Member

No layout for the job and as for days you'd work, it depends. During football it's a lot of either Mon.-Fri. or Tue.-Sat. But really it changes on a week-by-week basis.

7. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

Is this position just considering local candidates(TX, LA) or are you all casting a wide net?

8. DShapiro

DShapiro New Member

Obviously it'd be easier to hire someone who lives close but I got hired from Phoenix so there's a willingness to hire from wherever.

9. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

Any update on this position? Has a candidate been found, have interviews begun etc. very interested in this listing.

10. Joshua Reese

Joshua Reese New Member

Same

11. DShapiro

DShapiro New Member

Nobody's been contacted yet for an interview . That's all I can offer.

Joshua Reese likes this.
  12. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

They filled the position:

Draft saved Draft deleted