1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's the second-least shocking development today following the rising of the sun.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Turned out to be great takedown. Made Pearlman look bad.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Got to know Andy when he was covering the Bulldogs for the Fresno Bee, at the start of the Tarkanian era. Worked his ass off on that beat, but was very nice and approachable whenever I had a question.

Another all-reporting, no-screaming grunt bites the dust.

gravehunter and Doc Holliday like this.
  4. HanSenSE

SAS and Jemele will be co-hosting an "It's all about us!" party on Saturday.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Not rejoicing here, I feel bad for all the layoffs (although one of them I have personal issues with but that's neither here nor there). But exmediahack is right. She's probably going to get a gig before the rest of them because she's got a built TV personality through her past issues. She's what FS1 wants. An ESPN bounce back with a little bit of a name and she won't cost an arm & leg like Bayless, Cowherd and Whitlock did.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not a fan, but he made good points. Pearlmam went after an easy target and Smith put him in his place. A little self-serving as you would expect, but Pearlman came off as the petty one.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the only "joy" was over Britt McHenry, who had a particularly ugly public incident a few years ago that probably should have gotten her fired then.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

We live in a sad world if footage of one maliciously abusing another for being poor and ugly helps more than hurts a career.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

You see the world we live in...and the people elected to lead it.

Tweener likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

Drew Magary brought out the long knives to eviscerate Richard Dietsch, using his BS stance about the ESPN layoffs as a launching pad.

http://deadspin.com/how-to-suck-at-being-a-sports-media-critic-1794674167

In all, this is weapons-grade smarm, and it’s been Deitsch’s M.O. ever since he joined SI two decades ago. Maybe he did have some of the names affected (or not), but his priority was positioning himself as FAR too classy to actually divulge them to you. This allows Deitsch to act like a qualified newsman while deftly avoiding the thorny ethical quandaries that affect normal, capable journalists on a daily basis. I have written profiles and stories that have caused the subject a great deal of irritation and distress. It is DEEPLY unpleasant, but sometimes it’s part of the job, and whatever anxiety it causes me is beside the point, both to the subject and to the reader. Who gives a fuck how I feel? But Deitsch thrives exclusively on this whole Mind Of The True Journalist horseshit.​

Pretty much spot on.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Alma and QYFW like this.
  11. HanSenSE

12. CD Boogie

Draft saved Draft deleted