1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Bay papers downsize

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Mar 1, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Pajaronian may be the greatest newspaper name ever.

Both the Boston papers have gone through this in the past 10 years or so. The Herald owner held onto part of the new development on the old property, and fortunately that part of town is booming with $500,000 shoebox condos.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I worry about this too. I don't know how coveted our real estate is -- we're close to downtown but 2-3 blocks away from what I'd say is core downtown. One thing is for sure, we've got about four times the space we need. I fear ending up like another nearby paper in our chain, which sits in a strip mall next to a tax preparation place and a shoe store.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Of course it is. Like I said before this is the new M.O. of whomever is in charge of a newspaper, the publisher or whomever. It's his/her only way of making the CEO of the chain any money. Sell the property and move the newspaper operations somewhere, anywhere. There's really little concern regarding where the newspaper people will move. That's what is really funny about all this. It's sell the historic newspaper building in prime location usually for a shitton of money and after you sell find a little strip mall somewhere and if it's not big enough just tell the reporters to work at Starbucks and come check in once in a while.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

My paper is right in the middle of a downtown area, historic and hopping with businesses plus the bar/booze/hookup scene is all around us. New condos sprouting up nearby too. We used to run a full ship, didn't have enough desks for employees. Day Reporters and day editors had to share desks with night reporters and night editors. Now the empty desks out number the occupied desks three to one throughout the whole building.

It's only a matter of time before our trusty building is sold off and we're shipped to suburbia.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We are in a bureau in a strip mall. There were heavy rumblings they were going to shut us down and have the few remaining reporters and two-person sales staff work from home. Another idea was to combine two bureaus, about 30 miles apart, into one halfway in between.

Then someone figured out we need actual addresses in both places to sell legal ads so we're here, for now. I'm waiting for them to turn our double storefront into one.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The big surprise is that they figured out the legal ad thing before they shut everything down. Some companies would have shut down the office, then shit themselves when they realized they fucked up,

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are the BANG papers or the Chronicle dominant in the Bay area? I always thought that historically the Mercury-News and the Chronicle were roughly the in quality. I also thought the Chronicle had less suburban penetration than other Metro papers such as the Washington Post or the Boston Globe. But I am not sure.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No.

MileHigh and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted