1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Your Parents Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, so I got a letter from my mom today. She called me fat. LOL.

20170425_113618.jpg

So ... how do your parents endear themselves to you from time to time?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    maumann likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

she didn't say fat, just said you gained weight.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL, so she's diplomatic about it.

"So much weight" = tub-o-lard

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My mom told me I was getting fat because I "finally found happiness in life."

In reality, I quit smoking and could finally taste food, so I kept shoving it into my big, fat face.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

She didn't just "call" you fat, she sent you a handwritten letter saying you were fat.

And who says written communication is a lost art?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My mom is more subtle. After losing 90 lbs her comment to me was "Good for you. Now, when you lose the rest.... "

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly the kind of letter my mom would have written - she'd get in the news about family surgery AFTER letting me know how much I'd porked up.

I miss my folks. First mom died when I was five, dad remarried two years later, he died when I was 10 and my second mom died 24 years ago.
    I enjoy being a parent. I hope I'm every bit the pain in the ass to my kids that my folks were to me while I had them.

My mom used to give an umbrella every Christmas to the kid (or in-law) who pissed her off the most during the past year. One time I got caught without one and she said, "How is that even possible? You should have quite the collection by now." One year, to her credit, she gave it to herself because she was the year's biggest pain in the ass.

I suggested burying her with an umbrella by her side but got overruled.

Wenders, maumann, Ace and 4 others like this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My dad didn't like it when I wore almost-black nail polish. That's about the extent of the parental criticism I can think of.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd give anything to hear my dad bust my balls again.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I like that she asked "why" you gained so much weight. Like there's a plan or strategy behind most people putting on pounds.

My parents, whom I love dearly and am very close to, are surely among the world's most tenacious grammar cops. At least with their children and grandchildren, they won't hesitate to correct any misuse of the English language's rules. I usually find it rude and annoying, even if they are technically correct.

I now frequently tell them that my small grammatical error is nothing compared to their sin of rudeness. That at least makes me feel better.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I saw your Facebook pictures.

Songbird likes this.
  12. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

I used to hate how much my Dad nagged me, especially about my beard. But damn, I'd give anything to hear, "Son, when you gonna shave them whiskers..." again. Now that he's gone, I miss the comfort of his voice, even when he was being a jerk :)

OscarMadison and MisterCreosote like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted