1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

NASCAR and professional wrestling: two entertainments whose popularity has always escaped me.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The ticket offices will be humming the rest of the year for the retirement tour. But next year, yeah, it's gonna be rough.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Going through Junior's tweets I see that Sam Bass is having serous health issues.

Back in the mid 90s his shop was just down from CMS, if memory serves.

He was the NASCAR artist at the time.

Not surprised from afar that Junior is retiring. I can't name more than a handful of drivers these days, and I used to be able to count to 100 in NASCAR.

4. playthrough

Junior's got some wanderlust in him, I'd be a little surprised if he heads to the booth or anything else that would put him at the track every weekend next year. Guess we'll find out more this afternoon.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Being a married guy and having to answer to a partner, in addition to yourself, changes the equation. Without the partying and the racing, I wonder what he turns to next.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Crocheting and taking long bubble baths.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Was Junior a raging boozer at one point?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. playthrough

But he's still driving two Xfinity races next year. In other words, he's driving in the two highest-attended Xfinity races next year.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That might be extreme, but he certainly enjoyed himself. The Playboy interview from about 15 years ago was telling. Of course he also was 27 and a millionaire.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whoa.
    NASCAR puts out the 2018 Cup schedule, and there's some major changes.
    The Brickyard 400 is now the regular-season finale race in September, and the first round of the playoffs will now go Las Vegas-Richmond-Charlotte.
    Oh yeah, that Charlotte race? It'll be on the track's infield road course.
    The playoffs start in Las Vegas, and Richmond is also a playoff race, putting a second short track in the final 10.
    New Hampshire is also going from two races to one.

Some other minor changes include moving the start of the season up a week to President's Day weekend; the first Dover race is now in early May and the second is a playoff race in October; and the Richmond spring race is once again at night.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That ain't minor. That means one (ONE!) week after the Super Bowl they're gonna be goin' fast and turnin' left ...

Draft saved Draft deleted