1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robert Pirsig, author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I picked that book up and put it down several times over a 20-year-period. Once I was ready to finish it, "Zen" opened my mind to New and necessary ways of thinking. True genius. RIP.

Vombatus and HC like this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Todd Gitlin, a sociologist and the author of books about the counterculture, said that “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,” in seeking to reconcile humanism with technological progress, had been perfectly timed for a generation weary of the ’60s revolt against a soulless high-tech world dominated by a corporate and military-industrial order.

And now here we are again ...

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Echo this. Except the time I finally picked it up and went start to finish was last year. Glad I did.

Echo this too. It's an interesting time to read it. My teenage sons should benefit from it in a few years as the themes have been revived.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

As much as I liked "Zen," I liked "Lila" even more. Two of my favorite books ever. RIP Pirsig.

Draft saved Draft deleted