1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Honestly, that's why I was keeping the HR and SB totals conservative. I think he's a good bet to miss 20-plus games per season with injury.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In my only trade of the year, I traded Duvall, shaw and Holland for Marte and taillon, and felt pretty good about it.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Guy in my league dropped Jose Quintana, so I put in a waiver claim (I'm second in priority) dropping Joe Musgrove. I know Quintana has had two bad starts sandwiched around a decent one against the Twins. Trying to figure out if there's a reason I shouldn't do this move. It'll put me up against the salary cap (Quintana is fairly expensive at $24), but I can fit him in. Is his velocity down or anything? Not sure why this guy cut bait so quickly. He replaced Andrelton Simmons at SS by picking up Zack Cozart and dropping Quintana.

4. bigpern23

I would have felt good about it, too. Too bad Marte fucked you, that was a good deal for you.

5. outofplace

I haven't seen anything about an injury or drop in velocity. Perhaps the trade talk is a distraction?

Sounds like that owner was just very impatient. Grab Quintana if you can.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd be holding onto Duvall.

7. bigpern23

Todd Frazier, Hosmer and Bird are killing my soul. I think all three are going to be fine because they're all sporting BABIPs in the low .100 range (Frazier is at .083!), but, man, it's tough to resist dropping any or all of them.

8. outofplace

I'm in the same boat with Martin, Napoli and Fowler. Martin and Napoli were terrible in April last year, too, so there is a history of solid seasons after awful opening months. Fowler may be headed to the scrap heap because I have enough outfield options and I've decided to use a bench spot to wait on Marte.

9. bigpern23

I think Fowler will turn things around (his BABIP is 150 points below his career average), but if you're deep in the OF, I can see why you'd move on. Napoli is also 100+ points below his career average. Martin is only 60 points below his career average and he's a 34-year-old catcher, so he seems like the candidate least likely to get it going again.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Have been thinking of dropping Fowler. Daily league, rot, 12 teams. OF is Thames, Myers (one of them at 1B), Piscotty, Mazara, Pollock, Fowler. Start three OF and a utility, but also have Odor and Moustakas for utility. Would've already dropped Fowler for a pitcher, but tied for last with 8 sb. First in sb is just 17. Thinking I need to just hold on to him, right now I only put him in if two of the other OFs are not playing.

Just looked up his career, definitely thought he was good for about 25 sb a season. His 162 game avg is 19, but he had 27 his first season. Thinking may just drop him pick up a SP.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  11. outofplace

I don't really expect a good batting average from Martin, but he has been a decent bet for 20 home runs and a lot of walks. There just aren't many options at catcher, or he'd already be gone.

I've got Pollock, Herrera, Haniger, Bruce and Kiermaier, who brings a similar game to Fowler. Of course, Fowler has done a lot more to prove himself as a commodity. I have four outfield spots and two utility guys, so five of them are active (I've got Suarez in the other utility spot). I have to cut somebody to bring Kipnis off the DL. I'm also considering making room for Matt Moore, who was cut in my league. I know the numbers are awful, but I think it was a bit early to give up on him.

12. outofplace

Under those circumstances, I would have already cut Fowler. He's not going to get you that many stolen bases.

Draft saved Draft deleted