1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interstate collapses in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 30, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But how will this affect Braves Opening Day traffic?

3. dixiehack

Not on the way to the park, but an absolute fucking disaster for the city as a whole. WSB is live streaming now. If you work in the city and live in Gwinnett County (population 850k-plus), probably looking at a 20-30 mile detour minimum on the already-gridlocked Perimeter. That doesn't even get into north Fulton and north DeKalb ($$$ suburbs) and all the way up to Forsyth County ($$ suburbs) and points north. An unmitigated clusterfuck.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've only driven through once, and it was a straight shot down I-75. It was enough to realize the traffic horror stories I've heard are not tall tales.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

In addition to the regular daily commute of hundreds of thousands of vehicles, you're talking about the major north-south thoroughfare from the midwest to Florida (spring break under way) and from Raleigh-Durham/Charlotte/Spartanburg to all points southwest. Amazingly, sounds like nobody was underneath the portion of the overpass when it collapsed. Everything but Interstate 20 merges together (75, 85 and Georgia 400) in that two-mile stretch of six-lane highway.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Atlanta, I got a ride to the airport at 4 or 5 a.m. On a Sunday. And there was a steady flow of traffic.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The fire had been going for quite some time before the bridge fell.

Traffic is going to be insanely horrible. That's going to be a 24/7 teardown and repair job, and it will take weeks, maybe a couple of months. We had a similar fire in B'ham, oil truck under the overpass, and they got it fixed in about four weeks IIRC, but that looks like a larger bridge. Gawd, glad it's not here.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Another epic collapse for Atlanta. It's a curse!

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they had been under it, tons of collapsing concrete and steel would've been the least of their worries. That thing was an absolute inferno.
    There are reports that cops were frantically diverting people away from that section of interstate just before it collapsed.

10. dixiehack

Reports are all firemen are safe. And when the bridge collapsed it actually snuffed out most of the fire.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That part of town can't hardly afford to lose a lane in a rush-hour fender-bender. An entire stretch of interstate is unfathomable.

12. dixiehack

And now a severe t-storm warning for Gwinnett.

Draft saved Draft deleted