1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam cancels North Carolina show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

"I know it's funny Duke lost, but what if a few years from now the Heels have to play VCU in Virginia Beach?"

"OK, fine. We'll make a deal "

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even if and when North Carolina revised its laws to be less overtly hostile, they shouldn't be guaranteed to host part of March Madness every single year. That has nothing to do with politics, but basic fairness. People are just as passionate about basketball in Kentucky, Indiana, etc. but they don't have a birthright guarantee of hosting each year.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I complain about it too, but deep down I have to give it to North Carolina for every decent sized city having a viable arena. If Frankfort, Owensboro and Evansville all built new 18,000-seat gyms, the NCAA might go there too.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. franticscribe

It's not like Indiana and Kentucky are left out in the cold on hosting the NCAA tournament. Hardly more than a year goes by that Indiana doesn't have either opening weekend games at Bankers Life or regional/Final Four games at Lucas Oil. But each state only has two arenas that meet the NCAA's expectations and in Indiana both of those arenas are in Indianapolis. If Fort Wayne expanded the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum to seat 15,000 or so and Evansville or one of the cities up in the region did the same, I suspect Indiana would be competitive for first round games on a nearly annual basis the way North Carolina is. I'm not sure Kentucky's second-tier cities could realistically justify building big enough arenas.

As for the HB2 compromise - I hate that it took the threat of losing NCAA games through 2022 for the legislature to come to its senses, but I'm glad we're finally at a point where the worst parts of that hateful law are going away. I don't like the preemption provisions in the new bill because it still allows for discriminatory practices against transgender persons, but at least discrimination will no longer be state policy.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

By forbidding new regulations at the local level until 2020, they are hoping to get an R back in the gubbernor's mansion and re-pass this law.... Hopefully, if that happens, the NCAA and others will call their bluff.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a long-term agreement with the Indiana Sports Corp and the NCAA ensuring that within any five-year period, Indianapolis will get five events: men's Final Four, women's Final Four, prelim rounds in men's and women's tourneys and the NCAA convention.

After the show that Greenville put on this year in relief duty, I'd have to think it will be solidly in the rotation for more opening weekend games. And I don't think it's a guarantee that the NCAA goes back to NC with this half-assed HB2 compromise. Its lawyers will read the fine print.

10. franticscribe

The left seems to be losing their minds today about this bill, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. The three-year moratorium on local ordinances is clearly built on a belief that the majority will gain more power after the 2020 elections, but I think that's a long shot on their part.

What's being under-reported, or unreported, is that the new law puts the existing municipal anti-discrimination ordinances back into effect. I think that's entirely by accident, but it's pretty clear that's what it does. So Greensboro's, Raleigh's, Durham's, Carrboro's, Asheville's, Fayetteville's anti-discrimination ordinances all return. Charlotte's returns but not entirely because they voluntarily repealed the transgender portion of it in December during a previous compromise negotiation.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The left would be losing their minds over any bill that didn't require North Carolina's governor to have sex with a transgender person in a bathroom in the state capitol building. Preferably a dirty bathroom or a port-a-potty.

expendable, QYFW and SpeedTchr like this.
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You really shouldn't talk politics. You're not good at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted