1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar World: 100 best solos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Jan 18, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From what I have know about the song, he brought Clapton in (and Harrison said this in interviews), because everyone was fighting during the sessions, and McCartney and Lennon weren't taking his song seriously. When he brought Clapton in to play lead guitar without telling them first, Lennon and McCartney got into their best behavior (precisely because they respected Clapton's guitar playing) during the recording session, and worked harder to make the song good. For example, McCartney sat down and came up with the piano intro.

I also disagree about what you are saying about the original solo. Clapton himself has said that the idea was that he wanted it to sound ""Beatle-y," which was why they decided to do the artificial double tracking thing on it, where they varied the speed on the track to create the wobbly effect. Of course, Clapton had his rep as being the best guitar player on earth. It doesn't mean he played that solo over the top. That is part of why I love that solo so much. Clapton didn't have to play it over the top for it to be great. There is a world of difference between the original recording and what Prince was doing. It doesn't mean that Prince couldn't play the hell out of a guitar. It's just that when I saw that, I really thought it missed the mark if it was supposed to be a tribute to Harrison and not about Prince.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Glad to see Ace Frehley on the list. Have always loved the timing of how he spaced (no pun intended) his notes to leave ever so brief moments of silence between notes, which made his solos more powerful and melodic to these ears.

Two I didn't see menti0oned on the list:

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" Mick Taylor leading that tune on a gallop.

"My Sharona" Maybe because it's thought of more as a pop Top 40 hit, this gets overlooked, but the solo in the middle goes on forever.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Can't argue too much with the list.

I would have loved to have seen some love for the opening, longform riff for John Cougar's "I Need A Lover."

4. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I didn't peruse the list to see if there were any Grateful Dead solos on there (I doubt there were). Among the best Garcia solos I've heard, two of the best are the bridge near the end of Wharf Rat from Pembroke Pines, Fla. 5/22/77, and the climactic solo on Morning Dew from Madison Square Garden 9/18/87. Both are absolutely stupendous. The 77 show was released as Dick's Picks, Vol. 3, but I don't believe the MSG performance has ever been officially released. I got it originally on a bootleg tape, then after I wore that out, I downloaded it off archive.org and burned it onto a CD. As far as actual releases go, the best Garcia performance is unquestionably the Dark Star from Live/Dead, although that whole hour-long, "Live/Dead sequence," as it's known (i.e. Dark Star>St. Stephen> The Eleven>Turn On Your Love Light), is pretty tasty.

Draft saved Draft deleted