1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't think he has made an appearance in my time as a member, but his brother is a heck of sermon giver.

2. Webster

I listened to the first couple of episodes of S-Town. I was bored -- don't think I will listen to the remaining five.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It twists and turns a bit from there, but it's not really a murder mystery. I'm five episodes through and enjoying it, but I definitely understand why it's not Serial 2.0 from a popularity standpoint.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I got midway through episode 3 -- right after the Florida cousins showed up -- when I realized I didn't give a shit about anyone involved and didn't care where any of it went from there.

5. Webster

I basically felt that way from the beginning. I didn't care about any of the locals and John seemed like he had about 20 screws loose.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha - I find that my non-journalism friends are way more into the pod than I am. Whereas for me, listening to John talk gives me negative flashbacks to the whackos I've had to deal with for years on the news side.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to be the only person who didn't think it was great. I felt like the reporter put so much time into it that when the murder story didn't pan out and the other death occurred, he decided to make a story out of what he had. Unfortunately, he didn't have much. For awhile I thought the story was going to shift to the search for and fight over his hidden gold, which could have been fun.

I finished it because I had two long drives this week. It was interesting enough and I convinced myself there was going to be something really interesting coming up.

My expectations were high. I was disappointed.

Hermes, HC and sgreenwell like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You've saved me some time. I'm 1.5 episodes in, and I've assumed all this time that they'd have never gone to the trouble of making seven episodes if there wasn't something compelling.

I began to lose faith in episode 2.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm 20 minutes in and questioning if I can/should keep going.

10. Webster

I listened through episode 4 today. The emperor still needs some covering up.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Will it make your decision easier if I say you will never like John any more than you do after the first twenty minutes?

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I lied. I kept listening to it. And you're right. John is still annoying at the very least and borderline contemptible at worst. His surrogate son, whose name I forgot, is no better.
    To critics, the small details and nuances that pepper the series have profound metaphorical significance that I just don't grasp.

Draft saved Draft deleted