1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Keen instincts there, Shotty, but there was more to it than the 140 characters.

Remarks by President Trump at Signing of Executive Order to Create Energy Independence

We’ve already created a half a million new jobs in the first two jobs reports of my administration. And if you noticed today, Ford -- great company -- announced massive new spending on three big plants in the state of Michigan -- a state which I love very much. Do you remember what happened in Michigan? Remember, November 8th. Oh, that was an exciting Michigan evening. And Ford just made that announcement. That’s a great announcement. It’s a very important announcement. It means jobs, jobs, jobs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/us/politics/fact-check-trump-climate-executive-order.html?_r=0

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't even like it when I do it, but if we're going to stay in Kindergarten mode, so be it.

You really aren't the best person to be suggesting proper SJ.com style.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Dammit, I was waiting for the next jif I saw.

I had this up in a frame, waiting for it.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Always above the fray...

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I were a Democratic dirty tricks operative, you could give me $100 million to spend on them, and I couldn't do one-tenth as much as Devin Nunes has to make it look like Trump was/is up to something very hinky with Russia. Trump should be begging Ryan to take this clown off the committee.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nunes really seems in over his head. As he tries to help Trump, he just makes things worse with nearly everything he does.

Senate Intel Committee getting things going today. Hopefully, regardless of party, they'll be the adults in the room.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Much of this is still funny to me.

With Hillary Clinton, there were very clear accusations of wrongdoing.

With Benghazi, it was that she didn't provide the necessary security for our ambassador, and then tried to deflect blame to a YouTube video, for political reasons.

With the email server, it was that she mishandled classified info, withheld work emails from the archives, and from FOIA requests, and then did not hand over all work emails, and destroyed the ones she didn't hand over.

What is the claim of wrongdoing against anyone in the Trump campaign, transition, or administration?

Here's how FBI director Comey described Russia's motivation for working against Hillary Clinton:

He -- Putin hated Secretary Clinton so much, that the flipside of that coin was he had a clear preference for the person running against the person he hated so much.

Full transcript: FBI Director James Comey testifies on Russian interference in 2016 election

He wasn't working for Trump as a result of some quid pro quo. He was working against Hillary because he "hated" Hillary, and if he could undermine the legitimacy of her election, that would be helpful. (Let's remember, no one -- not Hillary, not Obama, not Putin, not Nate Silver, and not even Donald trump -- thought that Trump would win the election right up until 8:00PM on election night. The goal wasn't even to help him win, it was to undermine Hillary)

And, as there is not even an accusation, let alone proof of a quid pro quo, and since Putin had his own motivations, what would be the reason for any "collusion" between the Russians and the Trump campaign/transition/administration?

The Russians didn't need help acquiring or disseminating the Podesta and/or DNC emails.

And, they weren't going to hold them back if the Trump campaign/transition/administration didn't collude with them.

So, it someone did something illegal, what was it? Why did they do it? For what gain?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Look over there! Benghazeeee! Eeeeemails!

HanSenSE and CD Boogie like this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe Trump can have Jeanine Pirro call Ryan to make the case?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, YF, that's silly. Whether or not it is illegal per se, and I'm thinking it is, or why else is the FBI working on it, the idea that a presidential campaign of the winning candidate actively colluded with an unfriendly government in said campaign is something the American people ought to know. That's one purpose of Congressional investigations, to find information and make it public. There are now four separate investigations with the Treasury look-see into Manafort's Cyprus banking. As for no proof of a quid pro quo, Trump said during the campaign he wanted to be friends with Russia. What other reason would Putin need to help him? There's quid and there's your quo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.