1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed the cross-section of wrestlers and NFL guys in that battle royal. You had all-time legends like Andre and Bruno, a future star in Bret, other top guys like Iron Sheik and Studd, plus the football guys like the Fridge, Bill Fralic (who had given some heelish promos on Studd; supposedly it was to plant the first seeds of a Studd babyface turn), Russ Francis, who did have wrestling experience with his dad as the promoter in Hawaii, plus useless stiffs such as Ted Arcidi.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The Network doc on last year's mania Monday was pretty cool.

Got me thinking, will it die down this year with the split? And will Smackdown that Tuesday after Mania have that same crazy smarks crowd or will people start dying out after basically 4-5 days of it?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unless they have Maryse pin Nikki for the win, allowing Miz to be part of a deserved win that Cena/Nikki don't need.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Doubtful SmackDown is less wild. The ticket package for this year added SD and an extra night in the hotel. It'll be mostly the same crowd.

And, from experience of being in the middle of those folks, there are a lot of guys from Europe, bringing their soccer hooliganism with them. On the bus ride from downtown Dallas to Arlington and the way back they never stopped doing chants. It was non-stop noise.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

WrestleMania 33 matches and predictions, not what I want to happen but what I think will happen....here's what I've got:

RAW
    WWE Universal Championship: Goldberg ( c ) def. Brock Lesnar
    WWE United States Championship: Kevin Owens def. Chris Jericho ( c )
    WWE Raw Women's Championship: Nia Jax def. Bayley ( c ), Charlotte, Sasha Banks
    WWE Raw Tag Team Championship: Enzo & Big Cass def. Gallows & Anderson ( c ) and Cesaro & Sheamus
    WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Austin Aries def. Neville ( c )
    Roman Reigns def. The Undertaker
    Non-sanctioned Match: Seth Rollins def. Triple H

SMACKDOWN LIVE
    WWE Championship: Bray Wyatt ( c ) def. Randy Orton
    WWE Intercontinental Championship: Baron Corbin def. Dean Ambrose ( c )
    WWE SmackDown Women's Championship: Naomi def. Alexa Bliss ( c ), Becky Lynch, Mickie James, Carmella, Natalya
    WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship: Titles not defended
    AJ Styles def. Shane McMahon
    John Cena & Nikki Bella def. The Miz & Maryse

ANDRE THE GIANT MEMORIAL BATTLE ROYALE
    Winner: Braun Strowman

Some thoughts on the main titles:
    With Harper performing so well and seeming to start developing his character, plus nearly getting a win over the champ, I have a feeling he'll be inserted into the post-Mania title picture after Wyatt retains. An Orton victory and title reign serves no story purpose. He's on his way down. Wyatt has barely started his title reign. I think Styles could be back into the title picture by the early summer if Wyatt's reign doesn't do much.

I see Goldberg retaining, being the one guy Brock can't beat. But I think they're building him to feed to Roman, who is practically a heel after Monday's promo. It's a battle of the spears. Because what does Roman vs. Brock do? We got that before, and it didn't go well. I don't want to see it again. Brock just isn't a face, and Roman is never going to get the pure babyface pop.

Of course, I probably don't know shit and my ideas would be vastly different from anything resembling reality.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

What's your best Wrestlemania moment?

For me, it will always be Hogan slamming Andre.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Thought I read somewhere that Goldberg is dunzo after Sunday, that this was all essentially a nostalgia money grab fueled by the video game cover.

Brock taxis and takes of for Suplex City.

rb

9. Baron Scicluna

That's the most iconic moment, but as a personal favorite, I liked Ultimate Warrior beating Hogan. It was a dream match, and I was sick of Hogan winning all the time.

clintrichardson and Rainman like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

My WM picks:

Lesnar (Goldberg's contract is done, although I suppose they could always extend it a couple more shows)
    Owens (Samoa Joe interferes)
    Bayley (Sasha turns on her on Monday)
    Enzo and Cass (challenged by the Hardys on Monday)
    Aries
    Reigns
    Rollins (Joe's interference backfires)

Bray (with help from Harper and a returning Rowan)
    Corbin
    Naomi (hometown girl gets the pop)
    A.J (with some crazy stunt by Shane)
    Team Cenella (Al Roker ain't announcing Miz as a winner)
    Stroman (seriously, among the guys listed, only Show and Zayn have a slight chance)

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Or if Maryse pins Nikki, at least Cena doesnt go down. But if hes disappearing again and Miz is going to be on the show, everything Miz has said about him is true and his team needs the shine to carry the next 2-3 months.

But yeah Roker's not announcing Miz as the winner.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks the mixed tag match is just a setup for Cena to propose to Nikki at Wrestlemania? Surely not.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted