1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NAACP leader outed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I said sexuality, meaning sexual orientation, and it's pretty well accepted that sexuality/sexual orientation exists on a sliding sale from heterosexuality to homosexuality, and that it can change over periods of time. Many people have defined their sexuality/sexual orientation differently at different times of their lives.

Kinsey scale - Wikipedia

Yes. gender is subjective social construct, and not tied to anatomy.

Perhaps the terms aren't as well defined, but I guess the question is whether racial identity must be identical to ones biological racial makeup.

As many people, including a large percentage of African-Americans, have a racial background that includes more than one race, it's already a fact that racial identity is not tied directly to racial background.

We don't use terms like quadroon or octoroon. And, there aren't terms to define the racial background of most people. Racial identity already is defined largely by the individual, and is largely accepted.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, I'll agree that behavior based on "race" is just as nebulous as behavior based on "sex."

But, as the man says, you still are what you is.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as race as a biological concept. "Race" as a term is useful in discussing racism. Alexandre Dumas was not considered a black Frenchman he was considered a Frenchman who had an African grandmother.

In South Africa you could be black, white or colored (mixed race). In some caribbean and South American societies there are more than two classifications of having African ancestry.

In the USA the one drop rule has always applied. I worked with a lady who had blonde hair, freckles and a southern accent. I had no clue she was black until it came up in a diversity training, years after I first met her. The concept of mixed race in America was virtually non-existent before it was used to discredit Obama. Most black people in America have "white" ancestors; Obama at 50% is not a particularly light skinned brother.

In the USA, "black" is synonymous with African-American culture. That is why you can say "I'm proud to be black" and not be a racist. If you say "I am proud to be an Irish/Chinese/Polish/Hispanic/Welsh - American", you are not racist. However if you say "I am proud to be white", you are saying I am proud I do not have African heritage or darker skin, and you are a racist.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"The concept of mixed race in America was virtually non-existent before it was used to discredit Obama."

You have got to be kidding, right? Mulatto, quadroon, octaroon, "high yellow", and a number of other terms were commonly used for a couple of hundred years to describe people of mixed race in America. Mixed race people "passing" as white was a common usage as well.

Yeah, "mixed race" as a common description of children of a mixed marriage/relationship is a recent construction, much like "single mother", because of recent changes in the social norms, and I guess that's what you meant. I just read that sentence and I was like "Whaaat?".

8. Just the facts ma am

Only in certain romance novels in the 70's were those terms used. In the USA, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Reggie Jackson and Alan Iverson are black, not mixed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Anyone who claims or exploits an advantage in this country determined solely by being white has no basis at all for complaining about "reverse racism." Also, if you do bitch about this stuff in public, you get the shitstorm you deserve.

10. Just the facts ma am

The larger point was there is no such thing as race, ergo there is no such thing as being white.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’ve time I’ve seen people blown open, they are all pink and blood.

12. Just the facts ma am

True Dat.

Draft saved Draft deleted