1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree with OOP, it looks like you made out pretty well.

Here are the results of my auction:
    C Hedges (7)
    1B Bird (5)
    2B Walker (3)
    3B Frazier (19)*
    SS Machad0 (35)
    OF Blackmon (10)*
    OF Herrera (8)*
    OF Piscotty (9)*
    OF Dahl (8)*
    DH Sano (3)
    BN Buxton (11)*
    BN Nunez (8)*
    BN Hosmer (2)*

SP Kershaw (56)
    SP Tanaka (11)
    SP Salazar (9)*
    RP Colome (7)
    RP Brach (8)*
    RP W. Davis (10)*
    BN Velasquez (8)*
    BN Musgrove (8)*
    BN Giolito (9)*
    BN Glasnow (3)

I was excited to nab Kershaw (even at an extreme price), Machado and Bird. I desperately needed a stud pitcher and stud hitter given how many question marks I had as keepers, so I resolved to get Kershaw and Machado. I had the third-most cap room, so I knew I could be aggressive. I waited until everyone had locked up starting 1B to go after Bird and he still got bid up to 11, but I think he'll be a good value at that price. Hell, Adrian Gonzalez went for 17 and that guy's like 50 years old.

I'm a little unsure about relying on Hedges at C. Wellington Castillo is available, so I could pick him up in case Hedges struggles, it would just be a matter of who to drop. Considering dropping Giolito.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I also have Giolito in a non-keeper, deep league. Seems like a luxury Ishouldn't afford myself.

3. bigpern23

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure how much he'll contribute this season, if at all. Right now, Reynaldo Lopez seems to be the next in line to be called up if a starter (ahem, looking at you Derek Holland) gets injured or is ineffective.

I hate to give up on Giolito because I think he's got a ton of talent, but I'm just not sure what to make of him at this point. Seems like his velocity is still down, sitting around 94 and I'm not sure he can be effective there.

At this point, I likely wouldn't keep him with the offseason pay increase to $12 for 2018.

4. bigpern23

I also need to improve at 2B, I think, but not sure I'll be able to. Indeed, it was the right move to cut Pedroia, but I wasn't able to get him back at a discounted rate. Someone else picked him up at $9, which is a good value if he performs like last season, but it came later in the auction and I was low on funds.

The pickings are pretty slim at 2B.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm confused, pern. You have (5) next to Bird's name, but he was bid up to $11?

I like Hosmer at $2 and Walker at $3.

I'd cut Giolito and grab Castillo. I don't have that much faith in Hedges. It seems like you have a solid team. You don't want that position to be a black hole.

6. outofplace

Looks like there is going to be a closer run early in my draft. I'm not taking one third overall, but I think I will be taking one with my second pick. The question is where to go after the top guys.

Oh, Melancon, Osuna and Diaz are probably the best available, but I'm still working on ranking those four guys. I'm guessing one or two will be gone before I grab one.

7. bigpern23

My mistake, I mixed up Tanaka and Bird. I used the same strategy with both, waiting for teams to fill those slots and burn up cap money before nominating them. Yes, Bird is $5, which I'm excited about.

I didn't expect Tanaka to be that expensive by the time I nominated him because so few people had cap space, but $11 is still a solid value for him.

8. bigpern23

I hate going for closers early, particularly since I get points for holds. I'd rather pick up a good setup guy behind a shaky closer late in the draft than burn a high draft pick on a closer who could disintegrate by the end of May.

That said, of the three you mentioned, I like Melancon best.

9. outofplace

He is certainly the safe one, though the others have far better strikeout rates. Fairly certain I would put Osuna last, but Oh and Diaz have very limited track records.

Regarding early, keep in mind that we each keep 14 players in this league, so the second round would be the equivalent of the 16th round in a redraft.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Anyone up for one more league?

11. outofplace

My name is outofplace and I am a fantasy baseball addict.

So yes, though it depends on when the draft would be held.

12. bigpern23

A few days ago, I 'd have said yes, but I just joined a third league and don't think I can devote enough time to a fourth.

Draft saved Draft deleted