1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Membership Housing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL, in return you get the "right" to rent.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Their big hook seems to be that you get that $150K "back" at the end, so it's almost as if it were free! But, of course, as Ragu noted, if you sell the condo (with assumed appreciation), you're getting your $150K back, plus some.

I can't fathom what could convince someone to do this.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The only thing I could think of that would make someone do this is if it were on an extremely desirable block in NYC, where you couldn't come close to affording it otherwise, thus the $150K refundable deposit for the "right to rent" would make some sense. But Bennington, VT? Pass.

4. Songbird

There are 29 of the membership units at either $115,000 or $150,000 buy-in, which comes out to under $4 million. They're also going to utilize New Market Tax Credits to build it. People elsewhere can't fathom why they're doing it this way, plus no one understands it.

5. Songbird

Right, if this was Trump's new building, someone will plunk down $300,000 to reserve their spot on the 26th floor. But who is doing that in Bennington?

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. The Personal Seat License comparison really does seem to fit, except this might be even worse.

7. Songbird

Couldn't you buy in, sub-lease the unit for 10 years to make money every month, then cash out after 10 years?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it's so confusing that nobody understands it, move on.

9. Songbird

I have to figure it out soon to explain it.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Their stuff is targeted toward empty nesters who are ready to downsize their homes.

Maybe I am just not in tune with what other people want for their money, but they are selling some fairly vague sounding amenities in return for them sitting on a chunk of your money. I'd have to imagine this is a very tough sell, but I don't know the market and perhaps I am out of touch with what 64-year-old white couples in Vermont want.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What is the term before you can get your money back? What if you die? Do they just keep the money?

Draft saved Draft deleted