1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk about "talk about"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've said this before, likely on this thread, I'll say it again: You do you and don't worry yourself one fucking second about how I do me. I've done OK in this business, been at it for a lot of years. Not the greatest ever but I've won a few awards and generally know what I'm doing. I've used "talk about" before and will likely use it again if I'm ever in a spot to do more writing. All the time? Of course not. But it works, for me, now and then and since I'm the one doing the work I'll do what works for me.

You don't like it? Tough shit. Again, you do you. Don't fucking worry about how I do me.

I shake my head at the arrogance of people who look down at the way some others do their jobs, others who do it very well.

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And your point in quoting something I wrote months ago and not replying? Unless your're starved for attention (and may Moddy have mercy on my soul ...).

4. cisforkoke

I thought it was a good example.

To elaborate: I think there are times when "Talk about ..." works and times when it doesn't.

Actual questions seem to be a better way to elicit quotes, although I could see where saying, "Talk about how this championship feels" might do the trick in the right situation.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey guess what? You can say the same thing about any question construction you want. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

6. cisforkoke

Why not go with the one that doesn't sometimes irritate the living shit out of the person being questioned? Just a thought.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All I can think of when I see this thread.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Does "talk about " do that more than any other question? Really?

I call BS.

I've seen just as many athletes/coaches/etc. get irritated by any number of questions phrased in other ways. If you're pissed, you're pissed. If you're an ass, you're an ass. If you just don't want to talk, you don't want to talk.

"Talk about" is not a magic word(s) that turns normally responsive people into uncooperative, inarticulate jerks.

I mean, was it a "talk about" question that got Rasheed Wallace repeating "both teams played hard"? I recently covered an NBA game after which the losing coach similarly repeated the same meaningless phrase as his answer to every question. Not one was a "talk about."

Again, it is not, has never been and never will be about the question. It's about the answer. Whatever gets you to a good one is the right way.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Old Time Hockey and Liut like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm not defending anyone who uses the "talk about" phrase as their way of asking a question. Sure, it can work beautifully but it can also blow up in peoples' faces. It's lazy and far from insightful, perhaps sophomoric is the best way to describe it. However, it allows the interviewee's mind to go whatever direction they want and sometimes that can be more revealing than a direct question.

That said, it all depends on the person who is answering. Knowing your subject, how they respond and what buttons to push to get the information is really more important.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again: Don't love talk about. Didn't use it.

In my experience, though, the heaviest critics of other using it were people who had better access, wrote features or longform, or are just general journalism scolds, of which there are too many on Twitter.

11. cisforkoke

That's not a question. [/verbatimsmartasscommentfromthebackoftheroom]

I can't speak for every source who has walked the earth, but I often gauge the potential for button-pushing by the responses of our local HOF, sometimes cool, sometimes asshole coach. I have to think that on a bad day, the statement to "talk about" something would not have gone over well.

Did actual questions set him off? You bet. But that is totally, completely irrelevant to whether "talk about" is a wise choice.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First, for the vast majority of people, on a bad day, nothing is going to go over well. That's what I'm talking about.

Second, if it works and you end up with a usable quote, it's a wise choice. And it works quite often for a whole lot of people out there (otherwise no one would use it and we wouldn't be having this discussion).

If you believe "talk about" is more likely to set people off, by all means, avoid it. No one is making you say it. In fact, I don't give the proverbial rat's ass how you ask your questions (as long as you're not asking something ridiculously irrelevant or doing schtick on deadline). But you don't know any better than I do that that is the case. And it isn't your job to tell anyone else how to do theirs.

Draft saved Draft deleted