1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 MLB spring training running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 14, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And even then they still wouldn't catch the Reds and Brewers for last place.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Pirates have Austin Meadows ready to move in if/when McCutchen is traded, so it wouldn't leave a gaping hope.

The bigger issue has been that Pittsburgh's starting pitchers, including nominal ace Gerrit Cole, have been unable to stay healthy.

And being in the same division as the Cubs and Cardinals don't help. They're sort of the Tampa Bay Rays of the NL Central.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thing is, they weren't that far behind those teams two years ago. Rather than add pieces to try to push the team over the top, as the Cubs did last year, they played it cheap and let the opportunity go to waste.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Steak Snabler

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Surprised it wasn't 30 games. Seems like the baseline was set with Chapman last year.

Perhaps lighter because his wife actively defended him? And unlike Chapman, no gun involved?

MLB might get a little heat for the light touch here. A 15-game ban for a closer in April is, in reality, a 7-8 game ban.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd guess the gun had a lot to do with the heavier punishment for Chapman.

8. Steak Snabler

I think part of it is that Familia didn't fight it.

9. bigpern23

Neither did Chapman, though, right?

10. Steak Snabler

Not at the end, but he said publicly more than once he did nothing wrong and would appeal any suspension.

11. bigpern23

I think you're right that it wasn't longer because he agreed not to appeal. But part of Chapman's deal for the 30 games was that he would not appeal. So, given that both agreed not to appeal, Familia's punishment must be lighter than Chapman's for other reasons. Manfred specifically mentioned the gun when he announced Chapman's suspension, IIRC.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't have sufficient facts and information about the incident to have an informed opinion about the length of the suspension.

Draft saved Draft deleted