1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

NCAA has no authority over the bowl games. They can revoke the sanctioning if the bowl doesn't meet certain standards (attendance etc.), but they can't legally prevent the creation of a bowl game.

Not really the same thing anyway as it has nothing to do with a championship.

What Stoney's saying about the randomness of late: Does that pan out as a recent trend? I remember quite a few 1 seeds getting knocked out early in the bracket in the '80s. And three of the four lowest seeds to win it were from way back when -- '85 Villanova as an 8, '83 NC State and '88 Kansas as 6. (2014 UConn at #7 is the other.)

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

We have to realize what we have and what we don't have. It's not a tournament with the best 68 teams. That's a pipe dream until the NCAA is ready to tell the teams in six or eight or 10 conferences that it really shouldn't be playing at that level.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not supposed to be a tournament for the 68 best teams. It's supposed to be a tournament theoretically open to all D-1 schools.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What team are you thinking of, either this year or any other, whose absence affected the effort to find the nation's best team? Everyone "left out" is somewhere between the 40th and 50th best team.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're right. Any team with a legitimate case as the best in the country is in and all they have to do is win six games. But by my count I think this year's tournament included four teams ranked 200 or worse in the current Sagarin list. That makes no sense whatsoever except in a everyone-gets-a-participation-trophy world.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those four teams each won their conference tournaments to qualify. Real wins in real games, not some numerical computer ranking. Has the folly of the BCS taught us nothing? Again, the point is, the tournament is open to all D-I schools who qualify by either winning their tournaments or through invitation. Eliminate any one of the automatic qualifiers, and you're en route to a failed event.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You don't think he's a Hall of Famer?

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the current setup. The whole idea is to improve one's team to the point it can reel off the six straight wins.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Shot clocks being run at #secspeed

10. dixiehack

South Carolina makes its bones by getting to the free throw line a ton, yet Gators have only fouled twice. Impressive that Gamecocks are right in this considering.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I do, but I'm sure there are a bunch of people who look at those region final failures and would say no.

Of course I've voiced my displeasure that the Basketball Hall of Fame continues to put in active coaches far from the end of their careers but won't put in guys who are obviously retired.

12. dixiehack

Katie Holmes is a Gators fan? Talk about going from one sketchy cult to another.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted