1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a sports storyteller | Harlingen, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Mar 22, 2017.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Are you a sports storyteller?

Can you attend a Friday night high school football game and bring it to life in words? How about that volleyball match or girls basketball game?

If you answered yes to those questions, we would like to speak to you. We may have the perfect position.

The Valley Morning Star in Harlingen, Texas, a 12,000-circulation, 7-day per week newspaper, is seeking a multi-talented, hard-working, energetic sports reporter to join its skilled and experienced editorial team.

The position we are seeking is crucial to our three-person sports team, which does it all from reporting and photography to some page design and layout.

The ideal candidate must understand sports and be able to convey that through well-written, narrative and entertaining stories and photos. Sports features, personalilty profiles and news writing also could be part of your daily routine.

Candidates also must be digital savvy, employing social media in an effort to build and retain readers and viewers alike.

We will teach some of these skills, but the key is to have strong sports reporting and writing abilities, have a desire to learn and be part of a team, as well as the understanding of what makes a community newspaper thrive.

If this sounds like a good fit for you, and you have the desire to learn and improve your abilities for the next level while helping make the Valley Morning Star the best it can be, you may be the perfect candidate we are looking for.

We offer the potential of having your stories and photos published in our other newspapers and specialty products. We also offer benefits and promotion opportunities at our newspapers in the Valley.

~~AIM Media Texas is a local multi-media company that produces and delivers daily news content via print and digital across the Rio Grande Valley. We also offer an array of digital products for advertisers that include Search Engine Marketing, Online Presence, Reputation Management, Targeted Digital Advertising, plus Website and Mobile Development.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I applied for a sports job at this paper about 25 years ago. Couldn't even get a phone call or a letter back. Was told by a friend from there they were looking for a minority hire. I had papers in Los Angeles and Spokane calling me but not Harlingen. LOL I sure wanted to live down there, would have stuck around at least 4-5 years too. Hate that they woudn't consider me. Great place to live.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Down there if you're an Anglo, you are definitely a minority. But you shouldn't feel uncomfortable with that. The Valley is relatively isolated but it's as safe as anywhere else in Texas.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Love the Valley. Love the people, the weather, everything.

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The position has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted