1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Twitter/journalist car crash

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 25, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I dance with Twitter all the time. I haven't gotten burned because I'm not an idiot and I think about how what I'm saying is going to be interpreted before I hit "tweet."

Jake_Taylor and PCLoadLetter like this.
  2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Well aren't you special.

cisforkoke likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

When you're a 20-game winner like Dennis Dodd, you can have fungus on your shower shoes.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Seriously though. It's easy. Lots of people who have sent out thousands of tweets do it every day. It's really not difficult if you're not a jackass.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I know buddy. Just messing with you. It is amazing how so many people can't follow that line of thought though.

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This kid must have the worst parents in the world letting him stay up til 1am. They gonna throw the kid a celebratory keg party too when the dust settles on his 15 minutes of fame?

7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

After the third time, you have to think it's bad parenting.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Always good to see one reporter calling out another reporter from a radio interview.

Here's another classy tweet from that reporter:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Toy department.

10. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

This was a textbook case of walking into Twitter's need for outrage. Never, ever tweet anything the least bit disparaging about kids. Or pets for that matter. For example, this season, someone high up with the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to go from a rotating cast of national anthem singers to one. They picked a 14-year-old girl, complete with braces, to sing both anthems at every Leafs home game. She is so awful I can only conclude she must be some big wig's relative. She screeches her way through both anthems and ends O Canada at a key that can only be heard by small dogs. Even worse, the fans love her because she's 14 and cute, so now she clearly thinks she's the biggest teenage sensation since Justin Bieber and gives the whole arm pumps, blown kisses on her way to the exit. While I have been sorely tempted many times to tweet something snarky, there is no friggin' way I'll do it.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Two years ago, it was Aaron Rodgers' presence that bugged the hell out of Dennis Dodd -- because, yeah, who's more important to fans enjoying the tournament? Dennis Dodd interview tantrum

My, does somebody have an inflated view of his own importance in the process.

Anyway, the 30-60 seconds it took that kid to ask the question is not a determining factor in anyone making or missing deadline. Get the fuck over yourselves, sportswriters. Your job isn't that hard. I did it for years. I've done a lot of other writing in various business and marketing venues. A game story, even on deadline, is some of the easiest writing I've ever done.

Draft saved Draft deleted