1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Enjoy the spotlight! Now the New York Times can run that story on the rape case, cover-up by Altman and eventual $800K settlement.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As opposed to the Bill Self Program Run Amok Story. :)

dixiehack likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So three out of the four coaches will be first timers at the Final Four. I have to imagine that's an advantage for the winner of the Carolina-Kentucky game tomorrow.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But a first annual business meet?

Steak Snabler likes this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Amazing how different Kansas looked tonight from their prior three tourney games. It's become clear that basketball champs at this level aren't meant to be decided by a single elimination crapshoot format--even if it does give some hellaciously unpredictable fun to TV viewers. So you've looked unbeatable for several straight games? Only means you're due to lay an egg with a crapbucket performance when it really counts.

I've not the proof, but I suspect the biggest mistake gamblers make this time of year is assuming teams that have played well will play well. They'd be better off looking for the teams that got their crapbucket performances out of the way early yet survived.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know somebody who bet on Kansas ...

dixiehack likes this.
  7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Never really saw the big problem with "first annual." I get the criticism, but if the event is something other than dick-snipping or atom bomb tossing, why not go along with the intent of the event?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wrong. No bets. Just an observation.

Did anyone who watched Oregon struggle just to barely get by Rhode Island last week think they were primed to easily take down that peaking Kansas team? The tournament has become so oddly unpredictable. Guessing what will happen based on what has happened seems such a fool's errand. Nowadays the last game seems to have amazingly little, if anything, to do with the next game.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

More tournament wins this century than any other program and one goddamn title to show for it.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jim Valvano and NC State say hi.

They had their own close call in 83. Think it was Pepperdine. (Checked, yep).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

C'mon, man. Some of us Oregon grads are trying to enjoy this run and forget that ever happened!

Draft saved Draft deleted