1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Beautiful Campus in Each State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I covered a VMI-Army football game at Michie Stadium many moons ago (1981). From what I recall, some VMI cadets stole the Army mascot the night before the game, then after VMI won the game, this very steely Regular Army guy in the pressbox radioed to the cadets who ringed the field "under no circumstances, let that damn goat on the field." This was a few months after the end of the Iranian hostage crisis and it was eerie to see the Thayer Hotel on campus, which is where the hostages were taken when the returned to the U.S.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I'd rate either VMI or W&L individually, but it is really cool driving into Lexington and seeing them next to each other.

@jr/shotglass, Shepherd is cool all around, but the stadium on the Potomac is a particularly nice part of it. The school and Shepherdstown itself are not what typically comes to mind if you say "small West Virginia town" to somebody.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have traveled a lot but I have always been in a hurry to get somewhere else. I am going to take as much time as I want when I travel.

I drove through rural New England once, briefly. I found things to do. For example, I drove by a Norman Rockwell museum and stopped. There was good hiking through the forests for my morning walk.

I am planning to visit the South in the spring to watch the plants bloom. I will also visit Civil War battlefields and eat in catfish and barbecue restaurants.

I realize I am a very boring person to be around.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I considered that to be my ideal college setting when I was a teen-ager. I wanted to go live there.

Now, this place is on my bucket list. On a Saturday night, preferably.

[​IMG]

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's not boring. You are a discriminating tourist, that's all.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And hordes of people go ape shit over DC cherry blossoms. Looking at fall colors is perfectly fine.

Think of it this way: in your remaining lifetime, you might witness X number of additional cherry blossoms and fall colors.

Yeah, two weeks is a lot, but they are beautiful, and if it's your thing and you have the time for it, go for it. Just another form of stopping to smell the roses...

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I went to Colorado and did not post it because I thought I could not be objective. But if you do Boulder, and I encourage you to, go to an afternoon game. Then drive up Flagstaff Mountain and watch the sun set. I would go as early in the season as possible unless you are going to ski. The weather is generally in the 70's and 80's and sunny. Even in October it can get cold if a front moves in. And if you want to go Boulder one week and Air Force the next you will not get bored in the interim.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Conversely, if you aren't used to Southern heat and humidity, I wouldn't try Baton Rouge until November.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lancey, I don't know where you were thinking of going in the South for spring flowers, but if you are anywhere near South Georgia, you should try for Callaway Gardens. It was built to be beautiful and they've had many years to refine it. Flowering plants and trees, golf, a butterfly conservatory, fishing, lots more. They'll get in your wallet a bit, but there's a lot in one place.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just make sure you get there for the start of the game to get the full experience. LSU fans often make Dodgers fans look like diehards when it comes to leaving a game early.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I used to make frequent trips near Lafayette and would try to go through Purdue's campus when possible. Even stopped a couple of times.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame has a beautiful campus. But Purdue is not in the picture compared to IU-Bloomington.

I said good day sir!

Draft saved Draft deleted