1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this means Pat Kelsey to Dayton and that's why he bagged on UMass. On the other hand, that would be very awkward to be in the same league with the Minutemen.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Steve Lavin was terrible.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Five Sweet 16s in seven years. Not horrible in my book.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And that is why programs like UCLA are never happy.
    Steve Lavin's first six seasons at UCLA:

1996–97 24–8 15–3 1st NCAA Elite Eight, lost to higher seed
    1997–98 24–9 12–6 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen, lost to higher seed, the eventual champ
    1998–99 22–9 12–6 3rd NCAA First Round, lost the 5-12 upset
    1999–00 21–12 10–8 T–4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen, lost to higher seed
    2000–01 23–9 14–4 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen, lost to higher seed, the eventual champ
    2001–02 21–12 11–7 6th NCAA Sweet Sixteen, lost as an 8 to a 12 after knocking off No. 1 Cincy

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am just wondering about the size of his pay cut. How much does a good Division II coach make?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was wondering if he'd take a job, just about any kind of job, at a Missouri school because he has to be building up a nice state pension for a guy who in almost any other case would have been a D2 lifer.

7. LanceyHoward

Au contraire. Anderson is 62. A job in Missouri would mean he would have to defer his pension. Anderson can start to collect his Missouri pension while working in Kansas. In academe one will observe that professors with big names who have at one place a long time jump to another school upon reaching retirement age. Colorado just hired a big name from Michigan for it's economics department. Econ professors at Michigan make 200k-300k a year and Colorado normally does not pay that much. But the guy had been at Michigan for 29 years so he could collect a nice pension from UM while continuing to work in Colorado.

I also don't know the pension rules for Missouri but in many states it is calculated on the last few years of income. So if they took Anderson's high three and he was making a million a year his pension could be a couple hunded thousand a year.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is why I'm terrible with money.

Liut likes this.
  9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

But how much of Anderson's $1 million is straight salary, and how much booster club supplement, sneaker deal, radio/TV, and other ancillary stuff that wouldn't count to a state pension?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a story from long ago. Right after Jackie Sherrill got hired by A&M for what was then a record sum of millions (chump change now, but this was long ago), the Aggies, flush with oil cash and very ambitious, called the head of Harvard's physics department. Would he be interested in leaving? He said, "Sure, but I think you have to know that my minimum demand is what I have now. I get paid twice what the football coach makes."

Liut likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, 'Bama sure isn't going to hire him.

12. LanceyHoward

A good question. It was reported that Anderson would have a base of 300k when he took the Missouri job with 1.1 million guranteed. Even if that was his pension base he has at least 25 years in the Missouri system and should be pulling down over 100k a year in pension. He as making 165k at Central Missouri. So his pension will still be close to what he was making at Central Missouri.

Draft saved Draft deleted