1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think he'll be a good bit better than average. Money shooter with range, good handle. Offensively, he's the package.

His scoring average, I'm guessing, says more about Alford's philosophy than his inability to rack up big numbers.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I didn't say that.
    He will get picked in the first 5 picks of the draft.
    That means absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How's his pb&j game?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Like I said......I like the kid....I hope he does go into the league and do really well.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If he eats this, he may go into the hall of fame.
    Or to the coroner.

[​IMG]

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Better than Jason Kidds freshman numbers at Cal. 13, 7.7 and 5.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Comparing counting numbers like that, across decades, is completely meaningless.

I see a court vision and awareness rarely seen. Pros won't fumble some of the passes his teammates were fumbling. Hate to sound like LaVar.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And his numbers this year don't show what you describe, that's why they are meaningless in describing his pro potential.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They don't? That seems like a pretty good line for an athletic freshman guard / wing. Kevin Pelton's draft projection stuff doesn't come out until after the tournament, and the same with others, but I imagine he'll be highly rated in those, in addition to having good reports from scouts, except for that weird hitch in his shot. That would give me pause if I was considering him with the #1 pick, but he clearly seems to be a Top 5 selection.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They are fine, this was Chefs reasoning why he would only be an ok pro.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

'
    What horseshit. I don't even know what that statement means. How exactly has "Alford's philosophy" supposedly held Lonzo back?

Alford's offense this year has been running at a faster tempo and scoring at higher average numbers than we've seen from any UCLA team since ..well, I don't know when... but it sure must've been a shit ton long time ago. And Alford kept the ball in Lonzo's hands and gave him carte blanche freedom to do as he wants with it more than any player in the country this year. How did that supposedly hold Lonzo's numbers back?

In truth, the real reason Lonzo didn't score big numbers this year is that he's simply NOT a natural big scorer. Instead, what's given scouts wet dreams over him is the impression that he's an oversized (ie. 6'6") TRUE point guard blessed with the sort of exceptional court vision, passing and ballhandling skills we've seen from extremely few other oversized true point guards over the years (Magic, Kidd, Penny, etc).

Although what those scouts may've missed is weak ass man defense and inability to stay in front of the truly uber quick guards--At least until De'aaron Fox provided a nice reminder by eating his lunch last night.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    QYFW likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That looks a like 3D cross section of my arteries.

Draft saved Draft deleted