1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Beautiful Campus in Each State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you're looking for scenery, then West Point is the place to be. Keep in mind that Buffalo is at the other end of the state, so, unless you want a six-hour drive to New England, you'd be better off at an Army game. Then do the D-III or Ivy League route. Yale Bowl also is a really old stadium and New Haven isn't far from West Point. Most I-AA/D-III teams, you can just walk up and get tickets, although, if you were to try for Yale/Harvard (or Harvard/Yale), you probably would want to get tickets in advance.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This message-board thread is a bit outdated, to the point of missing a few of the photos. But you get a pretty good look at the most notable D-III stadium venues in the country.

Best DIII Stadiums

Going to D-II, the place that left a lasting impression with me was Shepherd's Ram Stadium. It's right on the Maryland-West Virginia state line. You cross an iron span bridge from Maryland into West Virginia, look to your left, and this beautiful stadium is sunken next to the highway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The thing is, if the traveler wants to see the fall colors (and doesn't want to freeze his ass off). the Harvard-Yale game is too late, as it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving and the leaves are long gone. Also, the coldest I have ever been at any sports events have been The Games, especially at Yale Bowl's open air press box.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They say watching a game at Michie Stadium is something to cross off the bucket list.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Probably better to watch a game here in the day as opposed to the night.

[​IMG]

6. Michael_ Gee

One more Ivy stadium worth considering. Baker Field for Columbia. It is at the northernmost tip of Manhattan (you take the A train to the end and it's still a cab ride away) with spectacular views of the Palisades. You would never think you were still in Manhattan.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can get why going to see the fall leaves would be enjoyable for a day or possibly a weekend. But two weeks?

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with the choices for my native state of Illinois (U. of Chicago, Northwestern). U. of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana is pretty average. I'm biased toward my alma mater, Southern Illinois-Carbondale, which has a campus lake and forest. The oldest buildings there are an architect's delight, but some of the newer ones (meaning they were built in the '60s and '70s) are either average or downright ugly, bringing the overall look down a bit. The new football stadium there is much better than the team is.

Love Wisconsin-Madison, Indiana U., Arizona, Colorado and SMU, which were recognized.

As for Florida? Flagler is an architectural jewel without a true campus. I do like U. of Miami -- buildings are nothing special, but it's so ... tropical. And if finances allowed me to live anywhere in South Florida, Coral Gables would be near the top of the list.

9. Michael_ Gee

The peak only really lasts two weeks, but there's more to see in the region so they also serve as a nifty backdrop to other attractions.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. Just making the point about tickets, and how Yale-Harvard isn't your typical I-AA game that may draw 5,000-10,000.

11. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I say this as an alum who appreciated the beauty of the campus, but I'm not sure IU beats Notre Dame or Purdue.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think this is the winner right here.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted