1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Beautiful Campus in Each State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NMMI's barracks surround 3 sides of the football field.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Had to look up NMMI. Never knew there were military junior colleges.

And NMMI has an interesting list of notable alumni.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am going to retire soon and am going to go leaf peeping in Upstate New York/New England. If I wanted to go to one colelgge football game in the area during my visit which stadium should I attend. West Point?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't Ohio State and a couple of other Big Ten schools have them as well? Seems like that was a thing in the 40s and 50s.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh hell no. Those dorms were creepy as hell. If I did spend the night, I doubt I'd get much sleep.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Not at the Brick House.

Or the Big House.

Edit: Just based on the footprint of the Big House.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Flagler is one (large) building built for a totally different purpose. Unique, sure. Beautiful, yes. But if any uni can pick one building, there'd be a lot of Flagler's on the list.

Overall, though, it's slim pickings in Florida. Few historic residential campuses. Florida State and UF are more or less identical, red-brick Jacobean Gothic. Pretty and classical looking, though I'd rate FSU higher due to its density and topography.

The rest of the state schools, except FAMU, are full of 60s and 70s era big box buildings, space age lines and commuter school layouts.

Ace likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's really not many Div. I-A (FBS or whatever it's called) schools for football in New York. Just West Point, Syracuse and Buffalo. If you want to see a game in a dome with a mediocre-to-bad team, go to Syracuse. If you have a burning desire to see the MAC, see Buffalo. If you want to see a stadium that looks pretty, but with a mediocre-to-bad team, go to Army. The tour of the academy is fun, and highly recommended.

New England, for Div I-A purposes, has Boston College and UConn, plus UMass. I think they play at Gillette, so have fun with the traffic there and just be glad it's not a Patriots game.

But if you're looking for any type of college football, there's a whole bunch of I-AA teams, and D-III teams in both regions. You have multiple Ivies (Yale, Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell) in those areas, plus other I-AAs like New Hampshire and Maine who are usually pretty good. New York only has a couple of I-AAs. There's plenty of D-III teams in both regions, like Williams and Amherst, where you'll get teams that play for the love of the game, and the atmosphere seems like a throwback to an earlier time. D-III tickets are just a few bucks, but the quality of the teams and atmosphere vary from fairly competitive and excellent to barely an afterthought, and high school-like.

If you can, try to stay two weekends and see a I-A game for one of them and a lower division game for the other.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good suggestions. I think the two week plan is excellent. I don't care about the level of football but about the scenery and atmosphere so a dome is out. If I cared about the quality of the football I would visit the southeast, not New England. I think it sounds like Army is one must stop. Then would you recommend D-III or Ivy? No burning desire to see the MAC if the atmosphere is not great.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to worry about traffic at a UMass game. West Point would be perfect for leaf watching.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You could probably see three games. MACtion is on Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lancey, Michie Stadium is a great place to see a game. If you're up for a small college game, Williams' field (not stadium) is fine, and the campus worth seeing, especially in leaf season. If you're into football history, there's Harvard Stadium, which I believe is the oldest stadium of any kind still operating in the country. Also an advantage. Tickets to Ivy and small college New England football are dirt cheap. At Harvard, $20 will get you a seat between the 40s.

Draft saved Draft deleted