1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

If I ever go bowling again, I'll have to use a different ball.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I shot my computer with a gun.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Chino Hills coach speaks out:

Coaching LaVar Ball's sons: Inside high school basketball's most chaotic 30-3 season

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that? He's funny! /PCLoadLetter

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

None of this is a surprise.

My brother, a former SoCal hoops coach who DID make it to Sacramento and is now an AD at a decent-sized school (2,400 kids), and I have been talking a lot about this.

Long ago, he said he wouldn't put up with this garbage, no matter what it brought. His response would basically be, "I think you need to find a better situation for your kids instead of here."

And he wouldn't care. He wouldn't want these headaches. And what's written in USAT is about one-tenth of the crap that coach has been put through.

And the Chino Hills AD? He's 90 percent of the problem and why that school goes through coaches at all levels/sports like there's a running turnstile.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the coach has created his own Frankenstein to some extent.

Some game when LaMelo had 15 at halftime and Chino Hills had a 20-point lead, he should have sat him out the second half. See what Papa LaVar thought of that.

8. MileHigh

The coach is out of his element. He should never have been put into the job -- and that's on the lazy AD. Don't care that he was the assistant for the national title team. Blue Ball was running things and dictated the hire because he felt/knew he could control him. And when there was resistance, he turned into Dr. AAU and the kids responded to that instead of the coach.

There's a reason Baik left -- and it wasn't family reasons. And he would have won another national title had he stayed. The fact he didn't just to avoid the bullshit being spewed by Ball shows you it wasn't worth it -- even for a ring and national fame, such as it is.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what happens, papa Ball finding a small private school (no public school would touch him) for the remaining offspring and coaching things his way.

10. MileHigh

Zero options in SoCal left after what's happened the past two months. Enjoy those ESPN reruns of the specials that were done. Non-factor come next fall. Hell, he's a non-factor now. All hat, no cattle.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The children of Chino Hills will sleep well knowing you've got the cape on for them.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

“I go into the locker room, and I tell the guys to stop double teaming – just stay with your man,” Gilling said. “You do that, we’ll definitely get stops and come back and win.”

Yet, there was that voice again in the second half: “Double team! Double team!”

When Ball would shout for the double-team, Chino Hills players reluctantly followed his instruction. Gilling would yell, “Stop trapping!” (The exchange was captured in the video below).

Do you honestly not see the problem here?

Draft saved Draft deleted