1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

JTIII is gone.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Late in the silly season to make a change... wonder if they have someone lined up? JT IV? LOL

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Katz thinks Ewing makes sense; Wojo thinks Ewing is more set on an NBA career path (although at age 54 if he ever wants to be a head coach anywhere, he better do it pretty soon).

Some of the dark-horse contenders in the theoretical sweepstakes to replace K at Duke being floated -- Amaker, Hurley, etc.

That would be an interesting variation -- try to recast Georgetown in the mold of Duke.

It might actually make some sense -- the student body composition of the two schools is not that dissimilar.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. Ulysses S. Grant

Ulysses S. Grant New Member

Could Tom Crean land at Georgetown?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I've long been touting the idea of bringing Ewing in at Georgetown. What's the harm in trying? If you have the cajones to fire JTIII with Big John sitting there, what problem would you have in bringing in Ewing? Ya know, other than that whole strip club sex scandal in Atlanta deal?

6. Dr StrangePork

Dr StrangePork New Member

Hope he brings in an assistant that can teach free throw shooting

7. Starman

Not being really plugged into the Georgetown situation (although my mom did go there for a couple years), the question obviously is how much they want to keep the JT loyalists on board. Having just fired the namesake heir, that may not be easy to do.

And it remains to be seen how much of a blessing Big JT will give to anybody from the "family" taking the job at this point. Although John is a grownup; he has to know that's how the world works.

Thompson has been the face of the program for close to 40 years now. If you write him off altogether, you have to start over from scratch. Without the JT tradition, Georgetown doesn't have that much to sell.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Villanova, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Xavier and Marquette are all comparable Catholic schools that run strong basketball programs. Georgetown certainly has enough tradition to get back into that group.

9. Starman

Yeah, but only if they maintain at least decent relations with, and support from, the JT loyalists.

A somewhat remote comparison would be DePaul after it severed ties with the Meyer dynasty.

10. CD Boogie

My dad, two sisters and brother in law went to Gtown. I don't know of these JT loyalists you refer to. Alums I know are loyal to a winning program, and they haven't had one in a while. That SI piece by Jeff Goodman that had former players throwing JTIII under the bus had to play a role in this.

Former players say 'change needs to be made' at Georgetown

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'd be afraid that Big John would undermine anyone without previous ties to, well, Big John. Tough spot they've put themselves in
    Is this really a great job? Off campus arena. TV deal isn't with ESPN.

12. CD Boogie

as i've said elsewhere, is building on campus impossible? I haven't been on campus in like 20 years, but why can't they just knock down McDonough, the practice gym, and build there?

Draft saved Draft deleted