1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Tipping Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 19, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Because I'll try my best to tip 20 percent. It's no guarantee, but I'll try. But now that you mention it, $20 means a lot more to me than it did 10 years ago, too.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Was going to post the clip and decided against it because of the language, but how has the opening scene of Reservoir Dogs not been mentioned?

three_bags_full likes this.
  3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Simpsons vs Seinfeld down? :)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That was a good one, too.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Tip what you want, and live with the consequences.

If I get bad service, I don't tip. If I get good service, I tip well. If I'm gambling and I'm up, and I get good service, I tip.

I admit I get sucked into the guilt sometimes when I don't tip because of bad service, but I'm doing a better job of talking myself out of it.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A few months ago there were six of us at a restaurant, and we got some really bad service.

Someone in our party complained to the manager, who kind of wound up taking over our table and sending someone else to take care of us. The original server came over later to apologize.

Normal tip was left. But it may have been the last one that original server got. A better solution that just leaving a crappy tip?

7. jr/shotglass

I have a novel idea which I freely admit has nothing to do with tipping.

You try a place once. If you're not satisfied with the service or food, don't return. Unless you live in Langdon, N.D., you have enough eateries to move on to the next one.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not a novel idea.

9. jr/shotglass

No, really it isn't. But it works.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There's a place near me where the service is an abomination, but the food, especially the paella, is so unbelievably good that I go there anyway.

It's much easier to overlook bad service in favor of great food than the other way around.

11. jr/shotglass

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that. It's a matter of what you're willing to accept. Many people don't want to accept either. The answer for them is to stop thinking it's going to be better next time.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

To your face, he's going to be grateful. He's also going to remember you because he knows you're a good customer who values his service. And that's what you want.
    But yeah, when he talks to other waiters he's gonna say "damn right that motherfucker came back to settle up." Just work trash talk. He might talk a big game to co-workers but he's truly happy with the extra cash.

This happens all the time at the golf course. Most of the time when guys say they're big tippers they aren't because the don't get what a big tip is. I'm usually double or triple the minimum. I've caught a little less than double but I'm still gracious. Sometimes guys will hand over cash and go inside the shop and put more on a credit card. If our boss is gone we don't find out til the next day, but the usual reaction is some tough-guy trash talk about how dude is lucky he did or there would have been problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted