1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Damn. Are the incoming academic requirements becoming an issue with this job??

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That ... and the $22 million athletic department budget shortfall ... and the lack of interest around campus and in the area (I don't buy the 10K average attendance they claim) ... and the looming fight as other sports are cut and the tweeds want to take resources out of football and basketball to make things fairer ...

It's a hard, hard job.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Add in Cal (and UCLA) paying less than the going rate for coaches, assistants, etc.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And those assistants needing all the moneys to live within a two hour drive of work.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Randy Bennett would have killed for the Cal job 10-12 years ago. Now he's better off at SMC.

6. LongTimeListener

This is a biggie. I don't put a ton of stock in it regarding the head coach -- you're always going to get the up-and-comer rather than the guy who wants to be there for 20 years, but Martin was making $1.5 million. That's not bad.

Assistants, though ... $150K is not good money. Your basic 3/4BR house in that area is going to run $4,000 to $5,000 a month in rent. Forget about buying.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I learn more about UVA basketball from reading this site than I could ever want to know in three lifetimes.

8. LongTimeListener

The words-per-point rating is off the charts.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Doesn't Cal own some housing? Most Boston schools have a bunch for faculty, administrators, etc., bought long ago or now it'd take up most of their endowments.

10. LongTimeListener

Can't say for certain, but I don't think so. When they shitcanned the assistant for harassing a reporter last year, the main incident took place in his off-campus apartment, which sounded single-guy-ish and not university-connected.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Most Boston schools aren't taxpayer funded.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I refuse to believe that Snot Gottlieb is being seriously considered for Okie Lite.

Draft saved Draft deleted