1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2017.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I believe that's a no. Under the Simmons definition, I believe a "whitewash" is restricted to white North Americans.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Archie Marshall got hurt and Dreiling fouled out

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was young, so I only have vague recollections of the 86 team, but Archie Marshall getting hurt is the first time I remember my dad getting emotional.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's not even the last time the Celtics did it. I clearly recall the 86 Celts doing it when they'd bring in Sichting for DJ and Walton (or sometimes Wedman or Kite) for Parish.

And, as others noted, if you count foreign players its been done on various other occasions since, including rather recently in Minnesota. However it is true that the 80s Celts were the last NBA team to play a lineup of all AMERICAN white guys--that seems damn near inconceivable nowadays.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The 80s Celtics had an outsized following in the upper South because they played so many white guys. I suspect there are other pockets of the country where that held true.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

does anybody do those "second chance" brackets online with cbs.com and espn.com? It seems so stupid but what do i know?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never. There should be no second chances in bracket-land. Plus it would be just my luck to be perfect from the Sweet 16 to the title game and win some craptastic coffee mug or something.

Batman likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have to streamline my bracketing. I accept all the invitations just to be social, and the next thing I know I'm bantering based on five different sets of picks and I've put 50 bucks in and I'm not sure where I picked Oregon to go to the Sweet 16 and where I picked them to lose to Iona. (But I know I did both.) Fun to keep up with friends, but I really couldn't tell you where I stand in any of the pools.

I'm sure OOP doesn't have this problem of too many invites.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. Ulysses S. Grant

Ulysses S. Grant New Member

Ha, ha. I told someone the other day that if UCLA wins the title with the traveling Caucasian All-Stars, Indiana fans are really going to want Alford.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I keep wanting WVU-Gonzaga to be a good game and it keeps saying no.

three_bags_full likes this.
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I flipped back to Michigan-Oregon

Draft saved Draft deleted