1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHAT A F_CKING MORON

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, that makes me feel a little better I guess.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Plus they have wussified the game now with house minimums, so if you've only got $500, you'll get bumped to $1000 or $2000 (whatever it is) if you go ahead and solve instead of trying for another spin. And Jeopardy pays second and third places now. Everyone gets a trophy!

I loved Sale of the Century. Jim Perry was always wheelin' and dealin' and, yes, Summer Bartholomew was no slouch.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Drives me batshit crazy when there are multiple of whatever letter and the spinner, obviously knowing the puzzle, goes with a letter of which there is only one, then solves the puzzle. I get the decision not to risk another spin but leaving money that's right there in front of you is the worst.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I loved that show too. The questions were so easy even I, as a young teen, would get most of the answers.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy is from Brunswick, Ohio, an outer-ring suburb of Cleveland affectionately known as Brunstucky.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how many people fuck up the betting on Jeopardy. The thing that drives me most crazy is when someone who has like $6,000 in single Jeopardy hits the Daily Double, while their opponents have like $2,000 or less, and doesn't make it a true Daily Double. When that's the situation, you have to bet it all EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or in Final Jeopardy when the top two are pretty close in money and the third is way back -- then the third bets it all and gets it wrong, not even giving themselves a chance at a longshot win.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Might belong in the "Things that make you feel old" topic, but: Joe Garagiola. Just saying ...

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good one. Strategy in Jeopardy is a highly underrated component of the game. It's not just about knowing the answers.

First off, you should always search for the Daily Doubles. No reason to go for the first clue in each category until the Daily Doubles are gone. If you hit the Daily Double in single Jeopardy, you should bet it all 99 percent of the time (unless you're really weak in that particular category.

Betting in Final Jeopardy is as much about knowing what your opponent is going to do as it is about what you're going to do. If you're trailing by $3,000, realistically, betting all your money - or even most of it - is probably the wrong play. You should bet $3,001 because A) you need your opponent to get it wrong to win and B) your opponent is most likely going to bet enough to cover double your score +1. So betting $3,001 gives you two ways to win: You're right, opponent is wrong or you're both wrong. If you bet all but $1, your only chance of winning is your opponent being wrong and you're right, or your opponent has to be wrong and make a monumentally stupid bet of all their money.

If it's not already out there, there's probably a bit of money to be made on writing a book about Jeopardy game theory.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You probably don't watch it enough. I don't know if it's just sheer coincidence, or what. But it is crazy how that wheel invariably lands on "Bankrupt" just when you start thinking, "OK, they should stop," but then they get a little greedy and don't do it.

Really, it seems like it happens all the time.

11. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, but how many "Bankrupt" and "Lose a Turn" spaces are there on the wheel? Three or four? Just seems like the odds are very much in favor of getting a cash space. Although, as you said, maybe it's sheer coincidence (heh, heh) that the player hits Bankrupt right at a big time.

12. Baron Scicluna

One other strategy that I notice players don't do often is when they're losing by a lot, they still begin a category with the first clue instead of the last one. At some point, you'd think they'd go in hurry-up offense mode and try to get the big money questions to catch up.

Draft saved Draft deleted