1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair point.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Gottlieb is awesome. I used to listen a couple times a week before my schedule changed.

exmediahack likes this.
  3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I was gonna say that Jimmy Dykes doesn't see the problem, but then I read that he quit as head coach of the Arkansas women's team earlier this month.

[​IMG]

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The only reason to hire Gottlieb is that he's so blindly loyal to OSU that they know no matter how much they fuck him, he won't leave for another job.

And of course, no other school would even consider trying to lure him away from OSU, so that also helps.

I heard where he claimed he was a finalist for the Tulane job, and other jobs he was a finalist for (where they conveniently don't him to name the school). Bullshit.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's not a joke. I think he has a real shot. And a real shot at succeeding there.

Think of it like this from Okie State's perspective. You just lost your coach late in the cycle. No great coaches are out there to excite the base. Gottlieb does. His dad was a coach. His brother is a coach.

If anybody could do the job with no formal experience, I think it's him.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Eric Musselman turns down Cal, signs extension with Nevada.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That department is turning into Northwestern, circa 1978.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You never know, Notre Dame might if it wants to partner with a bank on a credit card line.

franticscribe and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So it's not a coaching move, but Tony Bennett lost the entire back end of his rotation today. Marial Shayok, Jarred Reuter and Darius Thompson are all leaving.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Thompson too? I hadn't seen that.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It'll be out tomorrow. Bennett is attempting to hit the grad transfer market to replace them.

Individually, none of the losses bother me a ton. Shayok is the one I'd like to stick around. Reuter is not an ACC-caliber player. Taken as a group...I hope they have reinforcements coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted