1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2017.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ha! I swear the first thing I thought when I saw that photo was, "That's not Gimel Martinez, that's Chuck freakin' Nevitt!"

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I thought Gimel Martinez was build more in the mode of Paul Mokesi -- wide as a tank.

Not quite.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The day I hated Duke was a few years earlier than most.

Damn, I loved that 1986 Kansas team. Still befuddled THAT team didn't win it all but the 1988 Danny & the Miracles squad did.

[​IMG]

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And the kicker being when they drafted Rik Smits to add to that roster that already featured Stipanovich, Dreiling and Gray. Seemed like the Pacer front office was determined to corner the market on pasty white 7-foot stiffs.

Needless to say, those 80s Pacer teams sucked something awful.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dreiling and Gray were the same person. Except that Gray had an acne problem.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First of all, Rik Smits was pretty damn good.

Second, I always thought of the Bucks as the Big White Stiff team, with Paul Mokeski and Randy Breuer, and it seems like there were one or two more of them on the roster at various times during that era. And no, I'm not counting Jack Sikma as a Big White Stiff, 'cause he was pretty damn good, too.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Celtics had a bunch of big white galumphs for many years.

Except one was a HOFer and one was a candidate for GOAT. So that kinda took them out of galumph status.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

During the 1982 Eastern Conference finals in I think Game 4 in Philly, the Celts became as far as can be told the last NBA team to have five white guys on the court at the same time. A bookend to their being the first NBA team to put five African American players on the court at the same time.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kent Benson. Pat Cummings. Even Dave Cowens for one out-of-retirement season of stiffdom.

10. poindexter

They may have done it again in 1986 with Wedman in the mix.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think at some time in 85-86 they had to have a lineup of Bird, McHale, Wedman, Ainge and Sichting on the court. With Walton available on the bench.

Stoney likes this.
  12. poindexter

Draft saved Draft deleted