1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 APSE winners being posted this week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks. We all get lucky once in a while.

jimluttrell1963 likes this.
  2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sucks to not be able to submit because your paper isn't a member. Wish there was a fix to that.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There is - join

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I was told I couldn't as an individual.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Congrats, Matt! Way to go! :)

Matt Stephens and jr/shotglass like this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure they still do writers memberships. Let me check on that for you

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Congratulations to everyone recognized, even all the anonymous folks. Section entries were down, probably due to the growth of design hubs. However, since content counts, there were quite a few papers produced off-site which made the top 10s.

Yes, they do. However, individual writers can't enter the contest right now. That was a big issue up for debate at judging this year (as well as at last summer's convention.) If you're acting as a sports editor but don't have the title due to consolidation, you might be able to join as well -- and pay the full freight ($95 for the smallest circulation size) to be able to enter.

How to Join – APSE – Associated Press Sports Editors

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

We joined in 2014 before I was officially sports editor, but I handled a lot of unofficial ASE duties. I basically became our APSE rep and handled all of our contest submissions. I'd say just try to talk to your supervisor about joining as a publication and try to work it from that angle.

Also, we need members. So if you're not one, trust me, it's worth it. Join. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't cost that much.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Tried. No go. Tried submitting alone, no go. Seven years going I haven't been able to submit.

Draft saved Draft deleted