1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ravens Beat Writer | Baltimore, Maryland

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Ravens Beat Writer

PressBox is seeking a beat writer to provide year-round coverage of the Baltimore Ravens for PressBoxOnline.com and monthly features for the PressBox print edition. Beat includes a combination of news coverage, analysis and feature stories, with daily posts during the season and key events plus a minimum of three posts per week during the offseason.

Qualified applicants must have a solid knowledge of the team, its players and the organization; the ability to monitor breaking news, turn stories around quickly and meet strict deadlines; and experience using social media to promote coverage and update audience on key news on a real-time basis. Strong communication skills essential. Must be able to attend practices, press conferences and all home games.

Other qualifications
    • Must be able to write daily posts during minicamp, training camp and the regular season; monitor breaking news, turn stories around quickly and meet strict deadlines
    • Must be able to communicate well via email, phone and text message
    • Must be able to write feature-style stores in addition to news coverage; avoid play-by-play descriptions -- focus on trends, players to watch and key matchups; analyze what happened, what it means and what's next; and cover injuries, trades and free-agent signings
    • Write a monthly feature story for PressBox's newspaper
    • Use social media to post links to PressBox content and update readers on daily news
    • Complete writing assignments outside of the beat on an as-needed basis
    • Willing to pursue and appear in local radio interviews to promote writing
    • Willing to appear on PressBox radio and TV shows to promote writing

Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and clips to PressBox managing editor Kaitlyn Wilson, kaitlync@pressboxonline.com

2. chicos_bailbonds

chicos_bailbonds New Member

Looks like a lucrative gig. The bidding starts at 17K ...

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Who cares about the pay? If you're looking to get on a big NFL beat, this wouldn't be a bad place to start.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As long as you don't mind sharing an abandoned burnt out row house with Bubbles and Johnny I guess.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Are we sure pressboxonline.com has a credential for Ravens games?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If PressBoxOnline didn't have a seat in the press box, that would be something.

Maybe they should call it CoverItFromYourCouchOnline ...

7. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

You may have just started the newest online domain. They'll start looking for writers next week.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  8. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

I do.... and that's why I'm no longer in the business.

9. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

I looked it up out of curiosity because I hadn't heard of the place and it looks like it's owned/run by the company that runs the Capitals and Wizards.

Take that for what it's worth.

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

"Year-round coverage" but the job listing is for part-time. God dammit I am so sick of this toy attic of a fucking industry I may just go start selling insurance or something.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

A lot of times "part-time" is listed because you won't be getting full-time benefits.

12. Jefferson Starship

Jefferson Starship New Member

Be sure to take career advice from the caddy who couldn't keep his job.

Draft saved Draft deleted